Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thank you teachers of Duncan Schools--particularly Kat Hernandez

It's the end of the year and we've been having all the end of the year activities. Field days, awards presentations, parties, the annual egg drop and car races, baccalaureate, and pretty soon graduations.

Every year at Christmas and the end of the year, I feel like I wish there was a personal way for me to thank the teachers of my students. In fact, after what I worked on the last few weeks, I realized there was another one very deserving and now retired that I want to do something for. But.

They work hard, they put up with a lot. (I know, I'm a substitute), and it's a fairly thankless job. I am not of the crowd who thinks my kid can do no wrong, but I know teachers deal with lots of those kinds of parents. I think teachers can be a lot like mothers. They wear many different hats besides teachers. So, thank you this year in my family to all but particularly to Mrs. Montez, Mrs. Stacy, and all the Jr High and High School teachers. Can I name all of my two oldest's teachers?

Mrs Haught, Ms Smith, Ms Alexander, Mrs Hernandez, Mrs McSpadden, Mrs Corona, Mrs Wearne, Ms Hales, Ms Bell, Mr Farness, Mr Evans, and then there's coaches, principals, and administrators.

But my great thanks goes out today to Mrs H as she is fondly known by students and Kat to her friends. With no intent to offend, my first impression of her was that she was crabby. Sorry Kat if you happen to read this. I found out pretty quick she was tough on her students. A trait I admire because she balanced it beautifully with a fierce love for them. She's as quick to tell them they are ahem assuming as she is to celebrate their gifts and talents. I have never heard one single student over the ten years she has been teaching my children, say a negative word about Mrs H. They all love her dearly. In conversations I have found how smart and bright she is. And how warm and funny. She's someone I'd love to be friends with.

So, anyway, she is endeared to our family. And so I wanted to do something special for her. And here it is.



I presented it to her today at the awards assembly and after a couple of tweaks and a few more signatures, she can take it home and I hope hang it in memory of all of her students (and parents and faculty) who are appreciative of what she has done for our Duncan schools. Thank you MRS H. So many people love you!

PS, thanks to Kathy Wolfe for quilting. Emily for helping me with the fabric flowers and ladies from Steeple Rock Stitchers for helping me with the quilt top.

No comments:

Post a Comment