Sunday, May 8, 2011
Day 9--Thank you Mom!
This is not actually my mom. My mom dropped from my life when I was five, briefly returned when I was 18 and then I lost her permanently when I was 19. This is my mother-in-law and her name is Janet. She has been my mom since I married the Bish at age 21. She is a saint. No really. She is.
If she looks like Mrs Clause, minus a few pounds, it's because she is. She is home baked cookies and hugs and kisses and compassion all wrapped up in a grandma package. She is the most selfless person I have ever met. And my dear husband takes a close second. He gets it from her. And I hope some day, more of it will rub off on me. She epitomizes the phrase unconditional love. I am sure they could put her as an synonym under unconditional love in the dictionary.
You have to be careful about what you ask our grandma to do, because most of the time, she will say yes. Even if she's tired or has other things to do. Sometimes she says no. And then she usually calls back and says yes. She loves almost every one. She doesn't speak unkindly of anyone. When she gets angry, the way you usually know it, is because she raises her voice slightly and says, "I'm serious!"
We giggle when she talks to other drivers on the road telling them their driving mistakes. And we smile when she tells us a story we've heard before. In a moment of levity a few weeks ago, the RM and I decided that should we find ourselves unable to enter the pearly gates, we'd be all right, because grandma would get us in. I can hear her now, "Listen! This is my daughter. This is my grandson. You have to let them in!" And I am pretty sure Peter would say, "Janet Norton? Well, any relation of Janet's must belong here."
I love my mother-in-law. She's one of the greatest blessings in my world. Thank you mom for taking me in as your own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment