We (the two leaders) were outside sleeping under the stars. I heard what was going on in the tent. First, attempts by the awake girls to awaken the sleeping girl having the nightmare. I could hear the one having the nightmare crying out in her sleep. They continued to try to wake her up, sit her up, snap her out of it. Finally, one of them came out to tell me. I told her to bring her out to me. These girls gathered 'round her, got her up and walking, and brought her outside for some "fresh air."
After soothing, reassuring, and hugs, I sent them back to bed and told them to think of happy things and sing some songs together. They started out with Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree and never got any farther because they were all giggling. They had been instructed earlier that when lights went out, their mouths were to be zipped, but considering the circumstances, I thought I'd let them get good and happy for sweet dreams.
After a few minutes, they suddenly got quiet. I tuned my ears again, and could clearly hear, that one of them was praying. For peace for her friend, for the fires that are burning, and for the fun they were having at camp. My heart was so touched and the tears streamed down my face, for the wonderful example of compassion, concern, and leadership these girls showed. 12 years old! I think the future is in good hands. And I am so grateful.
Yes, an hour later, I did finally rain on the parade and make the girls go to sleep. :-)
If you like this post, please share.
No comments:
Post a Comment