Monday, September 26, 2011

Oh how IAT for America!

IAT = I am thankful


From the time my parents split up, my dad became a traveler. He was a business man that had business all over. I think he was a manufacturer's rep for awhile. Then we got into motocross, then Nascar. We went everywhere.

Here are only some of the places I remember going with my dad off the top of my head. You can skip down to the rest of my post if you don't care where I went.

New York City, Washington DC, every state but Alaska and Hawaii, many historical sites like: (Once my daddy took me to Maine for lunch because we were so close and I wanted to be able to say I'd been to Maine).

Gettysburg, the Cyclorama in Atlanta, Kennesaw Battlefield, the Alamo, Custer's Last Stand--Little Bighorn, Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the Capital Building, the White House, the Smithsonian, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial, Congress, Supreme Court Building, Mt Vernon, the Pony Express, the birthplaces of famous people like Elvis, Joel Chandler Harris, the St Louis arch. Many, many race tracks, Taladega, Darlington, Charlottesville, Atlanta International Racetrack, Daytona multiple times.

He took me to Mexico, Canada, Russia, Ukraine, the Black Sea, and I could go on and on.

Here is something I remember more than once.


I remember driving across the great plains at night and seeing amazing lightning storms in the clouds. I loved how the lightning went, not only down to the ground, but also how it traveled across the sky from cloud to cloud.





Scenes like the Tetons were a regular part of our travels. One of my favorite trips was one of my first cross country drives by myself. I was in college, and I cranked up the country tunes all the way. I remember driving across a valley while listening to I'm Proud to be an American, by Lee Greenwood. I remember truly feeling blessed. Some day I would like to see other countries like Europe. I really want to do an African safari. But, my dear husband wants to see our land, and I will love seeing it again with him. Because as a child, I'm sure I have forgotten most of the grandeur. Even though I do remember things like being in the Passion play at the foothills of Mt Rushmore. 

So, I really loved driving home from Denver this week in my hubby's new truck, listening to tunes with one of my favorite people in all the world, as we watched the mountains, rainbows, rollings hills, and desert come into view. How I love America and her beauty. And tomorrow, I get to drive across Arizona and get ready to welcome home my missionary son. :-)








If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment