Yesterday the Bish asked me to speak with him in Sacrament meeting. I like to make his life easier, so I said yes. He said I could have 10 minutes and use one of my old talks if I wanted, so I wasn't too worried. But, in the end, I decided to use parts from two conference talks I recently read. They are:
The Atonement Covers All Pain
Face the Future With Faith
I really am a better writer than speaker. So, the preparation never unnerves me. But as soon as I am standing at the podium, my heart is pounding. While my husband can write a few brief notes and then fill it all in as he stands and allows the Spirit to guide his words, I have to write the whole thing out and then hope I don't read it word for word. In some ways, he is a natural teacher. It helps that he teaches for a living and after studying the standard works multiple times, it has become second nature to him to be able to talk about most any gospel subject naturally. It's his gift. I have other gifts, but I still hope I can become such a good teacher of gospel principles on my feet.
Anyway, in spite of my limitations at the pulpit, many people were gracious enough to express their sentiments about their enjoyment of my talk and the Bish. I am grateful that people are willing to lift me by encouraging me to continue to try to improve. I do enjoy speaking, but it's really the preparation I like. Hopefully some day, I'll also really enjoy the speaking part. You can read my talk by clicking on the articles/talks tab above.
If you like this post, please share or comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment