Thursday, September 30, 2010

Do You Suffer From Perfection?



Please read the blog entry above. Click on the probably highly airbrushed unrealistic picture. It's powerful. Then after you read how I am real today, come back and post something real about YOU.

Since he encourages us to get real, I'll be real, just for today. Lately with all the time on my hands, I have felt lonely, unproductive, and worthless. I am trying really hard to accomplish some great things, and they don't seem to be going anywhere. That's about as real as I can stand for one day.

That is why perfectionism is dangerous. We are commanded to be perfect. But mortality is set up so that we can rely on the grace of our Savior and so that we realize that we do need Him. And that in Him our weaknesses and imperfections are made strong.

I know General Conference on Sunday will lift my spirits. and I know that Christ knows and loves us whether we are perfect or very real. That's a true comfort. We don't have to be perfect, because He is.

3 comments:

  1. Here's my "real". People think I'm living a life of adventure and excitement, but really I feel lost, invisible, and inaudible. Blogging and Facebook help a little, but I think I could disappear and no one outside my immediate family would even notice.

    I struggle with "perfection" and there have been times when I have decided NOT to take bread or cookies, or handmade soap to a neighbor because they didn't turn out "good enough",or "pretty enough", even though they still tasted good, or got your hands clean.

    I'm working on this, and improving I think, but it's still a battle I fight often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little follow-up on my comment. One more little "real". I find exercises like this one kind of depressing. I don't think you have to be caught up in "perfection" to want to put on a bright smile and step out into the day and try to make the best of what life throws you. We all experience lemons in life, but let's make lemonade, or pie, or those gooey lemon bar cookies. We don't have to dwell on the sourness, we can use it to create something better. And we can teach this skill to our own children. I think this is a much better thing than, "Life sucks, but I love you anyway." That may be true sometimes, but it shouldn't be what we stay with.

    If you want real, look at Jesus Christ. He was judged, hated, beaten, betrayed, and hung on a cross for us. And he used those experiences to make for us something better. But wait. I think you said that already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather. I am just now seeing your comments. :-/ Oops. That's real. Maybe I can figure out how to get notices when someone posts. I am about to write a new blog about some recent really big imperfections. I hope your last days there will bring mounting joy as you imagine coming HOME to America. :-)

    ReplyDelete