I've had an ongoing challenge for some time. It's my challenge even though it's common to a lot of people. I don't think it matters what it is, just that I continue to be stressed by it. It's been particularly difficult the last four months. Think of YOUR challenges. What is really hard for you? A few weeks ago, it seemed to really reach an emotional crisis for me. Enough that I was brought to tears over it and wondered what to do. I had the opportunity to take a long drive (show a property in another county) and so I had time to ponder. A couple of years ago, I considered the scriptural counsel to be grateful in ALL things. I wondered if I could possibly do that.
So, I'm crying like a ninny and fretting, and I start praying, and I say, "God, thank you for this trial. I am sure there is a lesson in it, and I want to be your student." Whoa Nelly, the curtains were thrown open. Because it has become quite the sacred experience for me, I won't share the conversation that happened, or at least that I perceived happened between me and the Spirit. But I was seriously not expecting what came and I think it's one of the most moving experiences I've had in my life. As I continued to ponder the experience and direction I had been given, I TRULY was grateful for this challenge I have had. One of the answers is to just keep going. But since then, I have been able to just let it go.
A few months ago, I actually experienced a healing because of gratitude. THAT is for another day. I was blown away by that new knowledge; that gratitude can heal physical ailments. Still scratching my head. What a gift!
I've thought a lot since my prayer in the car, these past few weeks, and come to the simple conclusion that I am more blessed than I could ever deserve. It's all perspective. A long time ago I was raised in circumstances that were pretty difficult at the time. But since I was about 21, my life has been almost a fairy tale when I look back on it. Not to say there has not been a major crisis here and there or there have not been times when I was brought to my knees in pleading and anguish. I think most people have a few of those. But when I ponder this Christmas and what could be my lot...
On the same day, a few days ago, on facebook I saw two statuses that confirm my above thoughts. In one family, fund raising was happening for their 3 year old boy. He had choked on something and now lay in a hospital with no brain activity and his family considering who they could save through organ donation. In another family, the mother was facing death after a pregnancy with cancer. (http://kathysmiracle.com/) She did not have treatment to save the life of her baby, but her baby died a few days after birth! THESE trials are difficult on any day of the year, but at the Christmas season? Doubly hard.
Then today, I was greatly moved by a client I worked with earlier this year. During THE MOST difficult real estate transaction in my career, this sweet family lost their darling 18 month old to drowning. I wanted desperately to be sure that the sale of their home was completed. It took four months.
You know all those end of the year facebook summaries? Hey look at my year? Thanks for being a friend, etc. Well, this sweet client of mine, posted hers. The caption? "It was a great year." Now THAT my friends is being grateful in all things. She doesn't know she is my hero. She is walking the walk. A few weeks after she lost her dear little guy, I gave her a compliment that led to a long conversation. I was so impressed that this young mom who had lost her only child...instead of finding ways to turn her grief into bitterness, anger, and why me's, chose instead to focus on all the many blessings that people were offering her. She was broken hearted to be sure. But she did not use it as an excuse to stop life in it's tracks. And because of that (and a darling new baby boy) she is moving on with her life. I know she will always have a tremendous hole in her heart saved for loving her little angel, but I hope, when times are really tough for me, that I can act as graciously and gratefully as she has taught me.
My experience of a few weeks ago, the true trials of other families, and my real estate friend, give me a greater desire to be grateful in all things. I want to close with some moving words from the husband of the mother of five (six) who will be leaving her family soon.
"Intuitively the only length of life long enough to satisfy our desire is eternal life making the veracity of the resurrection self evident and still the freedom is ours to receive a sharper comprehension of this gift than is afforded by intuition alone. But why bother? In truth some of us are far removed from concerns as pertaining to eternal life, the hereafter being so far away. And so here is my message: If you have loved here then your hour of desperation will surely come and the significance of the resurrection; for you personally, will transcend your most choice experiences, because you will know by and through the resurrection, do (that?) those experiences and associations; your greatest treasures, continue to matter."
I feel blessed with my life and continue to desire to give it to Him by giving to others. My little Merry Miss phrase from days of long ago, continues to come to mind regularly. "I will radiate the light of the gospel by bringing joy to others." Gratefully.
If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:
Post a Comment