Sunday, November 2, 2014

It's November and I am THANKFUL

IAT = I am thankful

I have a hard time with November. I love it. But do I love it more than December? Well, I've decided I love November more than anything when I am in it. And I love December more than anything when I am in it. I love focusing on gratitude during November. Thanksgiving seems to be the ONLY holiday that corporate America hasn't figured out how to monetize. So, we can truly focus on what is important; Family, Abundance, Thanks.

Did you know the word grateful isn't in the Bible? But thanks in some form or another appears 35 times in the Old Testament, and 48 times in the New Testament. In fact, thank offerings were a part of temple worship. It was a requirement.

Even though I have heard all of my life to be grateful/thankful, I can't say I really incorporated it until about 6 years ago, when it kept coming to me over and over and over again. Gratitude was one of the first steps I took to change my life from overwhelm, discouragement, and depression, to joy, happiness, and success.  (YOU define success by the way) What does it mean to you?

Every day this month, I am finding something to be grateful for. If you really want to test your mettle, be thankful for things that are difficult. (In my faith, I believe that God's greatest offense comes from our lack of gratitude and refusal to confess his hand in ALL things, see scripture.)

I am posting most of my gratitude on FB, but today I wanted to explain if anyone cares to know.

Today was our Stake Conference. I am so grateful for those who serve in leadership capacity in our church. It is an unpaid ministry. Most of the "ministers" of our faith, have full time jobs and also minister. It's quite a feat. Then one day, they are "released" from their ministerial duties, quietly and without a whole lot of fanfare. One day they may be the leader of a large or very large flock, and the next day, they may literally be playing with the toddlers in the nursery. Or a boyscout leader, or a sunday school teacher, and so forth.

Today our "Stake Presidency," something akin to a diocese in the Catholic Church, was released from their duties because our Stake President moved. And a new presidency, which consists of three men, were called to replace them. There is no jockeying, no voting, no recommending. 2 members of the general leadership of our church came to reorganize. They are tasked with using prophecy and revelation to call the new leaders of our area. They did that last night and today they were sustained by the body of members.

Being a new member of this stake, I am grateful that I know all three and have complete faith in their goodness to fulfill these new roles in leadership over us.

President Mark Beus, works with my husband. He is the Institute of Religion director and a wonderful husband, father, and teacher. We love their family.

President Vaughn Grant. I know Vaughn in a service and business relationship. He helped me with a flood issue in the sale of our home. He was a critical piece in our home closing. Fortunately or unfortunately we had a similar issue on the purchase of our new home. Once again he came through with his expertise, counseled me how to get what we needed and wanted, and is finishing up the process as we finally are no longer required to have flood insurance after 19 years of paying it unnecessarily. What a great guy!

President Channen Day. He was a bishop in Clifton while Bret was a bishop in Duncan. Sarah and I went to camp together. I watched the Days navigate a pretty unfair circumstance with grace and goodness, rare with some people.

I am grateful they have agreed to take on a difficult position requiring much time, for likely close to ten years. I know we will be praying for them, and I know they will be blessed for their service as much as we probably are.

I am so thanful!

If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment