Friday, August 15, 2014

Similar Wounds?

IAT = I am thankful

 that I am always learning.





Long ago, I had some scary things happen to me. Sorry, no details. Years later, I suffered from the memories. I was young, and a new mommy. I grew up without my own mommy. I couldn't tell the people I knew most, so it seems like I told everyone else. I went to counseling. None of it helped. As my suffering continued, I was pondering one day. This is what I heard. "Stop talking about it. When you do, you will stop suffering. Only share if it will help someone else." I was somewhat floored. That felt very right. So, I've only spoken of it since a handful of times, when, in a conversation, I have felt that same whisper say, "talk." I realized over time, that my suffering could help others if I listened to that still small voice.

I know I've mentioned on Facebook about my new coach training, but I don't think I have here. It's been a joy, and the principles I am learning make my heart sing. Two things that my wonderful coach trainer has repeated over and over; 1) Is anyone suffering from a similar wound? 2) If there is anyone I can serve, put them on my path.

The death of Robin Williams has left millions stunned and mourning over someone we did not know personally, but felt we did because he was our onscreen friend. I've been left wondering the last few days, if he could have reached deep within, and chosen differently, and asked himself, "Is anyone suffering from a similar wound, how many people could he have helped in his remaining years? So much joy comes from seeing others overcome, who we have helped. It's why I keep teaching and learning and reaching out to others. Because when I see someone suffering, and something I did helps them recover, I gain so much joy. I love it the most, when one of my children or other family members comes to me, and I can help them. 

There isn't a person on the planet who gets out of this world without some form of suffering. If you love, eventually you suffer. Some suffer so much more than others. Many sink into darkness at the thought that there is no meaning in suffering. But oh, there is! When we ask the question, is anyone suffering from a similar wound? Undoubtedly, we get a resounding yes, close to 100% of the time. If we can take that suffering and turn it into blessing? WOW! It gives the suffering real meaning and purpose.

Each day, I try to remember in prayer, if there is anyone I can serve, put them on my path. A few weeks ago, I gave a few dollars to someone begging. I thought that was my service for the day. No, It turned out not to be. For later that night, my darling daughter wanted to go swimming. She came in her swim suit all bubbly and excited. I DID NOT WANT TO GO. I tried to put her off, especially because it was raining. I did not want to swim in the rain. The words drifted from my mind, down into my heart, "if there is anyone I can serve, put them on my path. It's your daughter." With a sigh, I put on my suit and joined my family in the rain in the pool. And I had fun. Will it make a life changing difference for anyone? Probably not, but she was the one I was to serve that day. 

What have you suffered? Is anyone suffering from a similar wound? Find them, listen, share, help, love. Who is on your path today that you can serve? You'll love it when you find them. Sometimes it is life changing or life saving. Either way, you'll find meaning and purpose and you'll feel better.



If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment