Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Little Acts of Faith

IAT = I am thankful

when I listen to inspiration.


I've spent the last 4 months working on a very difficult transaction. It was awesome after fretting for so long with someone who has endured tragedy along with the fretting, to be rewarded for the sweat and tears. Fortunately no blood.

I spent several hours last week organizing, copying, and turning in the required paperwork. Yesterday, there was a check. HOORAY! But, there was one small thing missing from my file. When I went looking, the missing item, was something outside of my control. I had requested the very item months before. So, I called, email, and texted who I needed to, to get what I needed. Then I had to wait. Until the person responsible gave me what I needed. It was an extremely important thing and I had no ill will toward not being able to get my check. I knew in advance. It's always that way. But moreso on this particular item.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Anyway, that was yesterday. A text went out first thing this morning and I was assured it would be back by morning. After some lovely seminary and institute meetings this morning, I checked my email. Nothing. I sent another text. Nothing. We went to lunch. After lunch, nothing.

So, I dropped hubby back off at work, and told him, "I am driving to work, I am checking my email there as an act of faith, and I am picking up my check." As I turned the car toward work, I felt I should call my daughter and see if she wanted to take care of her high school schedule first. She did. So, I picked her up and took her to the school and took care of her classes. I checked my email. Nothing. I drove to work. I checked my email from the car. Nothing. I told her it would only take a minute.

I went upstairs, I talked to a co worker. I opened up my computer and logged on. I checked my email. I'm not kidding you. There it was! It made me so happy. I was inspired to take a tiny step of faith. I was inspired to take a detour. I followed my direction. And the moment after I checked my email in that parking lot, it came in. Right in time.

I learned two things today. Maybe more. First, faith is simple. We complicate it. Sometimes it is that easy. Maybe it is always that easy? Where it gets complicated is when we let our emotional need for our outcome to overwhelm what is best for us (God's will). Secondly, the information I needed may have shown up at the exact same time anyway. The difference is, instead of being frustrated and anxious and wondering when the other person would do what I needed, and why was there this rule anyway.....I focused on the act of faith I needed to do and acted on inspiration that really had nothing to do with the outcome. (My daughter's classes).

I know there is something else to learn from this, so I'll be pondering it. I want to be better at letting go of outcomes, and understanding that faith is rewarded no matter how it turns out. Either we do receive what we hope for, or we understand that what we did receive or did not, was the better thing for us to receive.

If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment