I am thankful for each of my children.
I am thankful for my mom, who I never knew how I wanted.
I am thankful for my dad who was my mom for many years.
I am thankful for all of my other moms. Including my mom in law.
I am thankful for a supportive husband who helps me to be a better mom.
I have a confession to make. I hate Hallmark cards. Ok, hate is a strong word and not all Hallmark cards. I'm talking about the contrived iambic pentamer rhymes that are dripping with syrup. Maybe there is something wrong with me? But I'd much rather have a home made card by my Arteest, or a store bought card with a non rhyming heart felt sentiment. Weird huh?
I think the book I'll Love You Forever is a bit creepy. Yes! I read it to my kids often, but an old woman taking her son out of bed and rocking every night? Creep factor! I'm sentimental but I don't like glurge. Contrived stories or sentiments that have more to do with a point than the sad story it tells. Example. I hope I don't offend. Maybe you'll just feel sorry for me. These kinds of facebook posts make me want to delete my account. (Ohhhhh! That's how we can get rid of her!!!)
There are times, few times, that I worry about one of my children. But there are entire days, some times a few days in a row, where I don't think about my married sons. Gasp! I guess I'm a horrible mother. Here's the thing. They have wives! Now maybe this idea came from a young mom with children at home. I still have children at home and there are days when they are off to school that I don't think about what they are doing at school. Gasp! I know. Call CPS and take them away. Now, there's nothing wrong with a mom who wants to worry about her children every day and think about them every minute, I just don't. And if I do, I don't think I need to share it. And I don't think that if I don't worry, I don't love my children. Hogwash.
I pray for my children every single day. But every single week of their lives at least once, sometimes daily, my intent is to rear them so that when they leave the house, I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY. I have faith in what I am teaching them and their ability to act on it until they act in such a way that I can't have faith in it. I have enough to "worry" about my own life without worrying about all 7 of my children. It doesn't mean I don't love them. It just means I have confidence in them. I pray for them every single day, and I leave them in God's care. Worry just isn't me, unless Bret is late coming home and then if it's more than an hour, I've gotten the knock on the door, planned his funeral, brought myself to tears, and am worrying how we will survive, when he drives up! :-)
My favorite children's book that came out when I only had a few toddlers left at home is The Seven Silly Eaters. Oddly, very rhymy and I don't care. I could not read it EVER without crying. Because it was about as real life as it gets with a large family. I should have told my family to get me that for Mother's Day. :-)
If you've never read it, go here. The Seven Silly Eaters
One last thought, mothers get so much credit. "The greatest profession in the world!" I know that Mother's Day is for mothers, and some mothers don't have a husband and father in the home. But in this home we do. And I could never have been a good mother, without my darling husband who worked hard so I could stay home; who together, we often sacrificed so we could have the life we wanted with me at home with the babies. He was always willing at the end of a long day when I was tired, to help with whatever was needed. He was tired too. He still is. And still does. Any success I achieve will be because I have an awesome partner and support.
No, I'm not grinchy toward motherhood. My little heart has grown into a swelled version of it's former self because it was filled with love for my children and FROM my children. My greatest blessings in the world.
If you like this post, please share or comment.


No comments:
Post a Comment