Friday, July 19, 2013

I Come to the Garden

IAT = I am thankful

for cool mornings
for sore muscles
for screams and laughter
for cheese, :-)
for salsa, :-)

Links provided throughout for more info.


 We meet our tour guide, Rolley, a true character


Getting a trip overview

    
I'll come back to the camel.

 First views of Jerusalem


 Dome of the Rock
old city/temple walls

Nervously excited about our adventure.


As this was the Sabbath (Saturday in Israel), we went to church at the BYU Jerusalem Center. The above picture was not taken on the Sabbath by request of the district President. This was taken near the end of our trip. It was a wonderful meeting and humbling to partake of the sacrament as we could literally look out on the city and see where the sacrament was instituted.

And so the trip began. At this point I was blissfully unaware of how I would wish I was in better shape. Because we walked and walked and walked and walked. This was no tour for sissies. Thank goodness I am good at endurance. :-) Bret was completely in shape. He'd been walking twice a day for weeks. 

After our meeting, we went to the Pater Noster Church on the Mt of Olives. I think this was one of my favorites. But I might say that a few times. :-) The Pater Noster church and almost every other church we went to was built on a site thought to be where something happened. In this case, the praying of the Lord's Prayer. It either happened here, or nearby. It's a traditional site as opposed to authentic. Thought to be according to tradition, rather than KNOWN to be. It has tiled plaques in almost every language on the earth of the Lord's prayer. We went to the cave underneath and recited the prayer.











We had a brief "lunch" of  fresh bread and pitas from a local bakery in front of the hotel. It was so very good. Especially for someone who almost NEVER eats bread.

And the walking begins
 into the old city

by way of Jaffa gate and Christian quarter

shops






Matthew 27: 51, And, behold, the aveil of the temple was brent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did cquake, and the rocks rent;

Crusader graffiti. :-)



Actual streets where Jesus walked

 We did not go in to see due to the long lines and to the fact our guide felt there was a more authentic place.


The Garden Tomb, First visit


Golgotha/Calvary is right next to the Garden Tomb!




Winepress on site. One of the scriptural witnesses of this place. I had never heard there was a winepress near. Isaiah 63: 3. "I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment."






How I loved this place! Two things had an impact on me besides just being there, hearing the story, and the presentation by our Garden guide who was from Texas. The winepress, and my dear husband mentioning the scripture I shared above about trodding the winepress alone. And then, he reminded me of one of my favorite hymns. I'm surprised I did not think of it. But who cares who was inspired?


At any rate, we walked through this garden singing this song. My favorite version is by Susan Ashton and Billy Dean. I may have to invent my own youtube video. :-) I was pondering later about the winepress and the song, and they came together in an impactful way for me. Sometimes you read the same verse of scripture dozens of times, and then one day it hits you in a way it never has.

In this case, it was impressive to me, that the Savior of the world tread the winepress alone, was pressed in the Garden alone, gave His life and suffered alone. Even though it was done for EVERYONE, it was done for THE ONE. Each of us. We are THE ONE that He leaves the ninety and nine for. At least at some times in our lives. And we have to come to the garden ALONE. We have to come to Him alone. We have to have that one on one relationship with Him alone. And only then can we perhaps help others to discover how to come to Him alone. I loved the thought and the imprint on my spirit.

Then our first visit to the Garden of Gethsemane. And another church. :-) Basilica of Agony or Church of All Nations.














We only spent a few minutes walking through and enjoying. There was a much better visit to the private part of the Garden on the very last day. :-) And THIS was only day 1. Pardon my likely taking weeks to get it all down. It's really just for me. But if you are reading, I hope you enjoy.


If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment