So, I sat there with hopeful expectancy, wondering which side was right, who would be ahead, whether it was really close, whether there would be a landslide either way, and watched the results coming in early. First one or two states to one, and a few to the other. And then the moment everyone was waiting for; Ohio. After it was called, I waited to see if Rove was right or not, and knowing the necessary combinations, kept watching. And then Colorado fell. And I was dazed. I waited long enough to hear Romney's concession speech. And then I went to bed.
The next morning I poured over the news sites I access, and then it just hit me. What hit me? Well, it hit me that the ugliest campaign in history had just been waged against a TRULY good man. Whatever the disagreements in his politics or his taxes or his business, he was a man of true integrity. (And on many more than one occasion, Romney simply took the high road) And no, I think Obama has very little if any integrity. Is this what politics has really come to? Character assassinations? Vilification of those who are focusing on policy and problem solving? BILLIONS of dollars on both sides were spent toward something that in a grander scheme is meaningless. I have a gift for ideas. And maybe they aren't the most brilliant. But if *I* can come up with better ideas than how we are doing it, then brighter people can as well.
I'd like to see an equal number of debates where each candidate gets to choose the moderators for "their" chosen debate/s. I'd like to see the networks have to sponsor for FREE (or paid by the campaigns) one or two channels where the candidates can choose the programming they want and once a week go on their channel and have a chat with the American people tuning in. If Mitt had an hour every week for him to discuss things, rather than being misrepresented by sound bytes? It would have been all over. And it occurs to me with the technology we have, they could have done that anyway. Why didn't they?
And I think I speak for millions of Americans when I say, there are some of us who believe that America died on November 6, 2012. The principles that made America great were on the table. We had someone espousing those principles. And it seems at least 50% of America said those principles don't matter. I know that is an oversimplification. But when an election comes down to birth control and health insurance, we are far beyond Constitutional principles.
Back to caring. I am in the healing arts. Yeah, I'm a realtor, but my greatest successes outside my home have been being a part of the healing of hearts, minds, and bodies. For 20 years I did it in my own home, and then I started reaching out to the hundreds around me I could help. I'd love to make a living at it, but most of the time I volunteer to help those who are suffering. Because I know I can help, and because they need it or have asked me to help. One of my greatest complaints I have in certain situations, is that some leaders, teachers, people seem simply not to care about those who are suffering. In effect they SEEM to be saying, "I don't care what your problem is, stick it in your ear."
So, I may be sounding like (along with the evil conservatives) I don't care if someone needs help with food, shelter, health insurance. But I'm not. I don't think most Americans have stopped to think whether it is the function of government to provide ANY of that. And I propose that it is not. You know what? I don't propose it, the CONSTITUTION does. People in our day don't get the importance of that divinely inspired document. You think the issues we have today have never existed before? Think again.
Some of the brightest minds in history got together over 200 years ago and they studied every form of government in history. And they said, "how can we take the best of what there was, and leave the worst behind?" And then they argued for months. They drafted legal documents and argued some more. They finally locked themselves in a room and determined not to come out until they all agreed. And they themselves proclaimed it to be a miracle when they did. That was the spark that made our nation great. What did they have? a REPUBLIC (if they could keep it). I bristle when I hear the leaders at the highest level calling it a democracy, something our founding fathers thought was evil. Do the research.
Guess what it says? It is summed up in the preamble.
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
The Constitution limits the power of the Federal government. And the Bill of Rights grants us the rights we are guaranteed. THE ONLY THING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT should be allowed to do, is:
1) Insure domestic tranquility.
2) Provide for the common defense.
3) PROMOTE the GENERAL welfare. (This does not mean PROVIDE).
4) Secure the blessings of liberty to them and to us who came later and to ours who come later.
THAT IS ALL. Anything else, the states get to do. If any law infringes on any of those purposes, it is simply un-Constitutional. So yes, I DON'T CARE about the suffering of others if it means our sacred documents and liberties are trampled upon, and if people expect the government to relieve that suffering. Here is how I DO CARE.
America is and has been, and God please bless that we will, continue to be a "shining light on a hill" as Reagan described. We take care of our own and we take care of others. We come to the rescue of those in need, not only in our own country, but in other nations. Where would Europe be today, if we had not intervened in WW2? I'll start locally. We had a tragedy a few months back in our little town. Tragic loss. And the TEENAGERS of our town pulled everyone together and made a HUGE difference.
In our state. A few years ago, Arizona's largest wildfire (I think) ravaged Northern Arizona. One particular community was evacuated, and the neighboring community literally opened the doors to their own homes and invited that community in. Ranchers and farmers got all their trailers together and rescued all the livestock. It was an AMAZING act of neighborly kindness!!! Last year, that community had the chance to have the favor returned, when yet another MASSIVE fire ravaged Arizona. The tables were turned, and the other community did the same thing. And guess what, the federal government didn't have to do it. The hearts of a free people were moved to action. Neither does the federal government have to take care of individuals.
In our nation. 9/11. How many people dropped everything and stood in long lines to donate blood? Donated their time to go to NYC and other places like Louisiana and now the Northeast, to help clean up after terrorist and national disasters. Our uniformed servicemen and women are some of the best there is. We see over and over and over how GENEROUS Americans are. And that is right how it should be. Churches, families, neighbors, helping those around them and near them. If the trillions of dollars taken from Americans each year in taxes were returned to them to spend or share how they wished, we'd return to being unstoppable as a nation. And don't get me started on income tax. THAT was also originally UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Corrupt men changed it.
So, I guess I haven't really said why I think America died. But maybe that is best left for part 3.
If you like this post, please share or comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment