1. My hot blooded well guarded temper that reminds me I am alive and care deeply about things.
2. Just enough of the mom worry gene to be concerned enough to love my children, but not so concerned that I interfere too horribly with their lives.
3. New opportunities.
4. New friends.
5. Old friends.
So, I read this article recently Mormons beating Evangelicals
The article gave six reasons why the growth of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is growing, when other faiths are declining.
Current Church membership
Projected LDS growth
I'll summarize the article for you and add a few reasons more I think we hang on to our membership and continue to grow.
Six Reasons Evangelicals Leave:
- The church is overprotective.
- Their experience of Christianity is shallow.
- Churches seem antagonistic to science.
- The church's approach to sexuality is judgmental and simplistic.
- They wrestle with the exclusivity of Christianity.
- The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.
1. Mormons have bigger families.
2. Mormons have lower divorce rates.
3. Mormons share their faith.
4. Mormons are "orthodox."
5. Mormon leaders ask a lot of their members.
6. Mormons are less selfish.
Here are my personal thoughts on additional actions or benefits offered by my LDS faith that help keep us faithful.
***Missions for young men and young women. It was mentioned in the article the conversion of those who serve missions. Even though only 1/3 of young males serve missions for the church, the experience is invaluable for them in converting and retaining a testimony. They spend 2 years denying themselves of their own selfish pursuits to think of others, serve others, and teach them Christly principles. Many of the 2/3 that do not go, however remain active. And more and more young women are also giving themselves to 18 month missions. As members, we get to feed the missionaries and enjoy a message and respond to the invitation of who we can invite to fellowship with us.
***Seminary and Institute. I'm not sure anyone would argue that when children hit their teens and beyond that college, the influences of the world begin to take hold and it can be difficult to maintain the faith their parents have so painstakingly tried to instill. For most other faiths, if you aren't doing something to actively offset that influence, good luck maintaining their faith!
This was brought home to me a couple of years ago with my then senior son. I asked him, other than LDS, were there any other teens in his high school, who were faithful, and everyone knew they stood for something. That for example, because they were Catholic, or Baptist, or ________ people knew that they would have certain standards. According to his perception, the answer was a clear no. He was fair to admit that there were LDS youth also not living their standards. But he said the ONLY youth that others knew there were standards for, were the LDS teens. I was so deeply saddened to think that either, those teens were not living their faith in a public way, or the influence of faith has simply disappeared in this little corner of the world. (Having said that, I believe I live in a deeply religious small town, and I don't make these comments to disparage any faith, it is simply to explain my point of why there is a difference).
Every day beginning in 9th grade, LDS children in my and many other communities across the world, can either walk across the street from school during the day, or go to a local church early before school starts to enjoy and hour of religious instruction and discussion. Every day. For one hour. Every day. They join with their like minded friends, invite others to join them as well, to immunize themselves if you will, against the influence of the world that runs contrary to our faith. I am so thankful for that influence! And I sincerely wish other faiths had a similar program for their youth. It continues in college. Most college campuses in the US have an "Institute" program, to continue where the seminary program left off.
When a student attends a non LDS (think BYU campus) college and are exposed to ideas and philosophies they may not have ever pondered, Institute can be a very grounding place. Instead of being swayed by established "intelligent" professors, those ideas can be balanced with their own principles of faith. And it really helps! I have the added benefit of being married to a seminary and institute professional teacher.
***Visiting and Home Teaching. This falls under service mentioned in the article, but I consider this so HUGE as to mention it on its own. Every family in every ward, active or potentially active, is offered home teachers (2 men for the family) and visiting teachers (2 women for the women only) to watch over, provide help in need, to teach, inspire, and befriend. I have loved being a visiting teacher and having my own. Some are better than others, but I have met and come to know so many wonderful men and women through these programs.
As a young mother, on bed rest multiple times, I had faithful sisters visit me, bring meals, help clean my home, and care for my children when I could not do so. When I had the flu and another time a miscarriage I was able to ask a home teacher to assist my husband in giving me a blessing of strength. You can't imagine the comfort it brings to know you can call on someone in a time of difficulty need or sadness to be a help.
Conversely, I have been able to offer help, tears, friendship, and comfort to those who I have visited. And I have made friends I never would have. Particularly older women who were so fascinating and wonderful. It brings a richness to my life that would not be there without this awesome program.
***Relief Society. Relief Society is the world's largest women's organizations, if I am not mistaken. An organization who's motto is Charity Never Faileth. The visiting teaching program is run through Relief Society. There are ample opportunities for leadership through RS as well as other organizations in the church. The women in the LDS church are greatly cherished and upheld. Sometimes it's a little embarrassing how much we are fussed over. Because I feel like I could be doing a lot better. And yet I know that when I am in a leadership position, my opinion is respected and valued, I have always been treated with respect, and I have never felt talked down to, or belittled by anyone who has any leadership authority over me. In addition, I know that I can go to any LDS church in the world, and there will be a roomful of "sisters" who immediately want to know who I am, if I'm moving in :-), and how I can be made comfortable. Some places are better than others at this, which is to be expected.
And finally, ***covenant making. I know this exists at some level in other faiths, but this is something that is at least a weekly occurrence in our services and rituals. The first covenant made is at baptism. Every time we make a covenant, we are promised blessings. After baptism and the receiving of the gift of the Holy Ghost, we can partake of the sacrament (the emblems of the body and blood of Christ) each week and renew the covenants we made at baptism. So every week, it can be as if we are clean again, if we partake, repent, and allow the grace of Jesus Christ to bless us. After baptism, young men make priesthood covenants. And at marriage men and women both make temple covenants of obedience, virtue, and cleanliness all with an eye single to the glory of God, which can be renewed by returning to the temple as often as desired.
I'm very grateful for the way my faith helps me to be stronger spiritually, closer to my family, more faithful to my God, and more aware of those around me. It's a great blessing.
If you like this post, please share or comment.


No comments:
Post a Comment