For months I have been planning to attend a seminar called Genius Bootcamp. After several busy months, I finally had an open weekend, and the facilitator was kind enough to have it on a weekend I could go. But that is not what this post is about.
Just over 9 years ago, my beloved auntie passed away. My auntie Mo was a dynamo. And she was my substitute mother. We were very close. I remember the day she graduated, which is what my cousin and I like to call it. I sat boltright up in bed at 5am and I KNEW. I like to think that perhaps her angel spirit came down to the basement to kiss me goodbye before she left. I wondered if I should go wake anyone up and finally concluded that it would not do anything to do that, so I tried to go back to sleep. About an hour later, I heard footsteps on the stairs, and my aunt's hubby and my cousin were there to tell me what I already knew.
The next day I was driving somewhere. We were preparing for the Easter weekend funeral. And I heard this song, one of my favorites of Diamond Rio, on the radio.
ONE MORE DAY
Sometimes, you don't get one more day. Like when your mother takes her life. Or an aunt dies from cancer, or a granny dies from old age. And then sometimes you do. Accidents that don't turn out bad. Promptings that keep you safe. And medical emergencies that turn out right.
We had a scare this weekend. My dear husband who is also my hero, had a medical emergency. He thought he was having a panic attack. Several of his symptoms were consistent with a heart attack. And I was out of town! He called me to let me know, as I was on the last hour of my trip ironically with our Dr's wife. We contemplated what the best thing to do was, and finally opted for finishing the trip with my being able to be to the airport in an hour and Tucson in 2-3 where he was being transported.
It's an interesting thing when your life gets suspended in a moment. We were waiting for news and my brain began worst case scenarios. Why is that? Why not best case scenarios? Why doesn't our faith show up before our fears? I don't really know. Perhaps our faith needs to be fed more than our fears. Pictures began going through my mind, like how do I call my boy in the MTC with bad news? Well, that's where the stop sign in my head just barged in. WE AREN'T GOING THERE!!!
I knew I needed a blessing. And so, while my husband was having hands laid on his head I was wondering who could do the same for me. Fortunately, my seminar mate and capable driver had a son in Provo and we were almost there. And so as I tried to hold myself together, he laid his hands on me and told me that my dear husband would be ok, and that I would be able to enjoy my seminar. Good news for sure. I decided to feed my faith and let go of fear. If I was going to enjoy my seminar, it certainly COULDN'T happen if there was something bad happening to my husband.
I was still concerned, but decided just to trust. In the meantime, he'd been blessed that the doctors would know what to do. I was hesitant to post this private information on facebook, because I knew he wouldn't like it, but I wasn't home to make calls and wanted as many people as possible praying for my bishop! And theirs.
We still aren't really sure what happened. I believe it was stress related. There was evidence of stress on his heart from the tests. We were immensely relieved when the angiogram showed no blockage and the song One More Day came back to me. Now that I have hugged him close, and began filling him with supplements, and he is continuing on his new diet, I feel much better.
I am so thankful, to a mother in law who looked after my family. To sons who raced to the hospital to be with their dad and bless him if they could. To all who said they were praying for him. To his dad who met him in Tucson when he got there. To those who visited him in the hospital. For doctors and nurses who treated it very seriously. To my husband for going in quickly. For the results that show he should have a long life in this regard. To tools to help with what we do know, including stress. To his best friend for begging for some way to serve and support him, and in doing so supported and served me. To a kind traveling companion who would have turned the car right around if I asked. For the distraction and comfort of the information I learned in my seminar. And to new friends who were rooting for us that all would turn out well. I am so blessed.
And I am so grateful for what I suspect are many more days.
No comments:
Post a Comment