Friday, April 20, 2012

Inspiration

IAT = I am thankful


If you are like me, you probably need inspiration on a daily basis. And since I am only speaking for me, I can say, I'm not always properly seeking inspiration, asking the right questions, or even keeping myself open to divine inspiration that I call revelation. But the still small voice, or the great big one, or true revelation are key to making good choices and decisions. When we have anything in our life beyond the ordinary, we need help bigger than ourselves. Well, that's what I think.

I wanted to do something last night when I was struggling between sadness and anger. Instead, I sought counsel from someone who might have a clearer perspective and was given great counsel, that put me in a pondering state. And in that state, an answer came, that was likely a much better answer and decision than the one I was considering. And that choice/decision led to some beautiful outcomes. IAT for that! Because in the talk I quote from below, you'll see that making decisions when emotions are out of control blocks the ability to receive the inspiration you need. Who knew?

Here are my favorite quotes and my thoughts about them from this recent talk in our annual General Conference. 

Did you know there is a difference between revelation and inspiration? I am sure I did, but I like this explanation. 
The Holy Ghost communicates important information that we need to guide us in our mortal journey. When it is crisp and clear and essential, it warrants the title of revelation. When it is a series of promptings we often have to guide us step by step to a worthy objective, for the purpose of this message, it is inspiration.
Here' something else I didn't know. Truly light bulb moment.
Relationships can be strengthened through the veil with people we know and love. That is done by our determined effort to continually do what is right. 
Here is Elder Scott's formula for receiving revelation.

*Fast.
*Pray to find and understand helpful scriptures.
*Read the scriptures.
*Ponder for meaning.
*Pray for inspiration.
*Ponder and pray if that is all.
*Listen for more impressions.

I think my formula has been, fast (sometimes), pray, maybe read a scripture, listen a little, run off and hope the answer comes. Luck out if it does. I think I should try Elder Scott's formula.

How I love when people speak in my language of emotion. How I wish my language of emotion was less likely to rule my life. But, I have EFT! Hooray. Many times, emotions DO NOT SERVE US. Pay attention to those emotions, and make sure you settle them however you settle them before proceeding for answers. There are enemies to revelation. And who would have though humor could get in the way? Certain kinds of humor can. I want my chances increased! I really like this part.
There are some practical principles that enhance revelation. First, yielding to emotions such as anger or hurt or defensiveness will drive away the Holy Ghost. Those emotions must be eliminated, or our chance for receiving revelation is slight.
Another principle is to be cautious with humor. Loud, inappropriate laughter will offend the Spirit. A good sense of humor helps revelation; loud laughter does not. A sense of humor is an escape valve for the pressures of life.
Another enemy to revelation comes from exaggeration or loudness in what is stated. Careful, quiet speech will favor the receipt of revelation.
There are also GOOD things we can do to increase those chances to receive revelation.
On the other hand, spiritual communication can be enhanced by good health practices. Exercise, reasonable amounts of sleep, and good eating habits increase our capacity to receive and understand revelation. We will live for our appointed life span. However, we can improve both the quality of our service and our well-being by making careful, appropriate choices.
It is important that our daily activities do not distract us from listening to the Spirit.
I know I have had times in my life, where I could not make the decisions needed without help. It is so gratifying to know there is Someone wiser who can help us.
I have seen individuals encountering challenges who knew what to do when it was beyond their own experience because they trusted in the Lord and knew that He would guide them to solutions that were urgently required.
The Lord has declared: “And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken.” The words sanctify yourselves may appear puzzling. President Harold B. Lee once explained that you can replace those words with the phrase “keep my commandments.” Read that way, the counsel may seem clearer.
Tremendous gems in the following part. Am I haughty, prideful, conceited, desiring praise, recognition, letting my emotions rule, thinking of myself? Well, if I am, I guess I won't be getting much inspiration. Wow!
For spirituality to grow stronger and more available, it must be planted in a righteous environment. Haughtiness, pride, and conceit are like stony ground that will never produce spiritual fruit.
Humility is a fertile soil where spirituality grows and produces the fruit of inspiration to know what to do. It gives access to divine power to accomplish what must be done. An individual motivated by a desire for praise or recognition will not qualify to be taught by the Spirit. An individual who is arrogant or who lets his or her emotions influence decisions will not be powerfully led by the Spirit.
When we are acting as instruments in behalf of others, we are more easily inspired than when we think only of ourselves. In the process of helping others, the Lord can piggyback directions for our own benefit.
Maybe we already have been given answers and have ignored them. I believe when we do that, a portion of the Spirit withdraws and is unwilling to be a help to us. Unwilling is probably not the right word, becomes unavailable to us.
Our Heavenly Father did not put us on earth to fail but to succeed gloriously.
If you feel that God has not answered your prayers, ponder these scriptures—then carefully look for evidence in your own life that He may have already answered you. (read the whole talk for the referenced scriptures)
How do we KNOW? How do we know we are getting inspiration or revelation? So important to know that process. Because our mind and our emotions CAN most definitely deceive us and I am sure I have been deceived by those things at times. He did not mention the agreement between heart and mind, but I think it's another way.
Two indicators that a feeling or prompting comes from God are that it produces peace in your heart and a quiet, warm feeling. As you follow the principles I have discussed, you will be prepared to recognize revelation at critical times in your own life.
The more closely you follow divine guidance, the greater will be your happiness here and for eternity—moreover, the more abundant your progress and capacity to serve.
What if you totally flub it up? Thankfully there is a plan for that too.
Should choices be wrong, they can be rectified through repentance. When its conditions are fully met, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior, provides a release from the demands of justice for the errors made. It is wondrously simple and so incomparably beautiful. 
This last part got me. I don't think I see prayer as trivial, but I may show by my actions that I act as if it is trivial. Here's a good question. What if I saw prayer as sacred, every time, rather than trivial? M Hm. I think I should ask that question every day.
Communication with our Father in Heaven is not a trivial matter. It is a sacred privilege. It is based upon eternal, unchanging principles. We receive help from our Father in Heaven in response to our faith, obedience, and the proper use of agency.
I'm going to go read it again. I want inspiration in my life every day, and I want revelation to be something I recognize and am worthy for.

If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment