So, I try to read the Book of Mormon every year. I recently decided to also read the New Testament every year. I am currently in Acts. It's amazing to me after reading scriptures somewhat regularly, that I am finally beginning to come to understanding of SOME things that I previously did not. I guess that is why we need to "feast upon the words of Christ."
So I just had some thoughts about some of the verses I read yesterday. I was reading about the Day of Pentecost in chapter 2. I love the very clear way we see the true gift of tongues. Each apostle was touched by the Holy Ghost and began to speak in other tongues such that those who listened could hear in their own tongues. I believe that the gift of toungues is normally meant for the preaching of the gospel in a way that others can understand that message. I know many of our missionaries receive gifts in this area far beyond their ability and it is a sign of the true church.
I was also intrigued by how clearly in the Bible that it was taught that Christ meant for his church to move forward. In Matthew, there is an experience that Peter, James, John, and Christ have together. Christ is transfigured, ancient prophets appear, and God appears and is shielded from their sight by a cloud. In an earlier chapter it is clear, that Christ gives Peter the keys to the kingdom and gives him power to bind on earth and in heaven. The vacancy created by Judas and his betrayal is addressed and Barnabas replaces him. And then Satan wages war on the church. Christ testified himself that the church would fall away and need to be restored. (A "restoration of all things.")
Funny how I did not really intend to write all of that. It's amazing to me that the Satanic plans of men fail in tremendous ways. The evil leaders of the day thought that if they simply silenced Jesus, that it would be the end of it. That His frightened followers would simply disappear into the background in fear and go away. But they did not count on that outpouring of the Spirit at Pentecost and 3000 souls joining the new fledgling church. Or that Peter, the one who just a few weeks before shrunk from everyone, and denied ever knowing Christ, would become such a powerful example of the power of Jesus Christ. I think that should be an example for all of us. There will always be men/women with wicked and evil intentions. Do we shrink? Or do we stand? It's rhetorical. :-)
Acts 4 describes how astonished the high priest and other rulers were to hear Peter, an "unlearned and ignorant man" testify so boldly that they could say nothing against it. That is what getting Christ into a man can do for him. That is what the power of the Holy Ghost can do for a simple, humble follower.
So they are commanded not to speak in the name of Christ anymore. Don't you just want to laugh out loud? When you read those first few chapters of Acts and see the Spirit pouring out on His chosen apostles and members of His church, you understand that it was basically impossible for Peter at this point NOT to testify of Christ. He KNEW before he denied when Christ asked him, "lovest thou me?" And then the sad story of denial. Can anyone imagine Peter after that, NOT rising up and being who God called him to be? I can't.
And then, they continue preaching and healing in the name of Christ. And they are arrested. And an angel lets them go and they are brought before the leaders again.
Evil leaders: "Excuse me, didn't we tell you to stop preaching in that name?"
Peter and John: "Um, yeah, we did hear that, but see here is the thing. We'd rather obey God than you. We are His witnesses after all."
"When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them."
That's what you call slow learners! And here is where God can take any situation and use it to His benefit. Gamaliel, an attorney, stands and basically says, "Look, this little band is just like all the other little bands and probably nothing will come of it. And if something does come of it, then it probably *IS* of God."
And so, the evil leaders beat them and let them go. Cool. But one of my all time favorite verses comes right after. They've been thrown in jail, beaten, accused, and threatened, and how do they respond? "Rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name."
I don't know about you, but I hope that in my life, whether it is for the Savior's name or one of His causes, that I can rejoice in my worthiness to suffer for Him. I hope I won't shrink against ugliness and injustice. I hope I will have a desire to stand as a witness and do what is right and not fear.
I LOVE the New Testament!
Sunday, February 5, 2012
IAT for the New Testament
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment