When I submitted info to the Copper Era for Chris' return from his mission, Mr Mares, our local reporter got an idea and invited my boys to submit something from their missions. Here is what Andrew submitted and it was posted in this Wednesday's paper. I think he did a good job. And thanks for all the compliments I've received on it. They go to Drew of course. :-) It will be an ongoing opinion piece, so if you live in Greenlee County and have a returning missionary, please contact Walter Mares at the Copper Era.
Three years ago I left on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. No other decision has affected my life, so far, as much as that decision has. I left on my mission November 19th, 2008, to serve in the Utah, Ogden Mission and returned November 24th, 2010.
Now many might think “Why would you send a Mormon boy to Utah, the Mormon capital of the world, to try and spread a message about what he believes when everyone there is already a part of the Mormon church?” Well, that was what I thought at least. I soon realized that there were many there not of my faith and I was able to teach and share my beliefs of my church and my Savior, Jesus Christ, with many people of different races, ethnicity, and religions. It was a wonderful experience. I wouldn't have traded my time there to go anywhere else instead. But I'm not so much here to talk what my mission was like, but how in the fourteen months I've been home I still see the blessings it's brought and is bringing to my life.
First and foremost, my faith and love for God and His Son Jesus has grown so much. Nothing else from the age of 19-21 could have given me the desire my mission gave me to do what I know and feel is right, and what I feel God would want me to do. It has given me direction in life. A better understanding of why I'm here. It helped me realize I'm someone important to God and Christ, which has given me a lot of confidence in myself I didn't have before.
Spending every day for two years talking to people has helped me become more social, and my people skills have improved greatly. I became more tolerant and understanding of others. I respect and understand others beliefs more then I did before. I've been able to get a couple different jobs, in large part, because I learned and developed skills from my mission. In March I'm getting married to the love of my life, Elizabeth Richins (an Animas girl). I have my mission to thank because of it. I have become a better loving and more compassionate man because of my mission. The desire to even get married came from serving a mission and seeing how happy families are who follow Christ. I saw that. It's something I've wanted and I'll be happy soon to have.
Many of you who aren't of my faith have probably had missionaries knock on your door, or had a friend who was Mormon share what we believe with you. We do it not because we think we are any better, or have better beliefs, but because what we believe makes us and our families truly happy and we want that for others, especially for friends and family we love. We only ask people to hear our message and ask God if it is not true. My mission gave me a greater desire to share what I believe too.
Last week, a man who allowed missionaries to live in his home, where I lived three months of my mission, gave me a call. We had become friends. He called me to thank me and said because of the example of mine and another missionary I served with; it had brought a tremendous change in his son's life. I didn't feel I had done much, but loved the joy I felt as I talked to this dear friend on the phone about his son, and how he is doing now. These experiences my mission gave me have influenced me to try and live better and always be an example in word and deed of what I believe.
I am not perfect. I'm almost 23 but still feel young and feel like I have much to learn. I don't think my mission has made me better than anyone else. I do know it has change me and who I am. I encourage boys of my faith to serve a mission. I've seen its impact on my life. Not a day goes by that I don't think of the experiences I had in the little cities and towns of Utah. I hope what I share helps those not of our faith understand why missions are so important to us. I know Christ lives, and share these things in His name, Amen.
-Andrew Norton
If you like this post, please share or comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment