Saturday, August 6, 2011

IAT Amazing friends

IAT = I am thankful

 I will add pictures later, but...

I can truly say that one major reason, I have the life I enjoy today is because of my friends. Friends who, at a critical time in my life, included me. I had no connections, I had no wealth, my parent wasn't important. I didn't have a mom. I might have been looked at as a possible bad influence (see previous sentence). And yet, the long arms of my friends reached out to me and drew me in.

On friend I mentioned in the previous post. Camille. I moved into a new ward with not a friend in the world. I temporarily lived with my Granny and my first Sunday in town, Camille and her family came and picked me up for church. They did that a lot. And gave me rides to activities. As an adult Camille has had some amazing trials, and she has taught me how to move graciously through trials. And to be grateful for the trials I have.

Then there's Beth. Beth was a year older than me. She had a sister, Jenny, my age. And an older and younger sister. They all kind of took me in. Again, parents included. I stayed there a lot when my dad traveled. Beth took me to early morning seminary a lot. And to drill team practice. She had band practice. Once, I ran away from home to Beth's house. It was a shelter for me. Her family loved me. And I loved them. I learned how a family worked in their home. Beth has been through some excruciating trials as a wife and mother. Two years ago, after her girls were in an accident and a friend of hers died, her heart literally broke. (Well, that's what I think). She had to have open heart surgery. She came through it great. She's going back to school and doing really well at her studies. She is a wonderful mom. I love Bethy's sparkling eyes, beautiful smile, and her laugh. I also love how direct she can be. And how thoughtful and intelligent she is. Beth is teaching me persistence.

Then there's Kimbo. Kim lived in a family with lots of money. I didn't. That didn't matter to her or her family. They loved me anyway. Once again a friend takes me in, and her parents went along with it. We had sleepovers and Kim gave me lots of rides to seminary too. We laughed a lot and her mother was the quintessential gracious southern woman. Another great example of how a loving family works. I learned so much in the Humphrey home. Kim is experiencing tremendous challenges. And she too, is grieving. But she is facing it the best she can. She is battling the enormity of it all, and teaching me courage. I know she's going to rise above and succeed. She is needed and loved. I love her playful spirit and gorgeous blue eyes and the strength I know she has.

I am blessed beyond what I deserve. I have my own trials. They are smaller to me than what some of my friends are facing. But they are there. And I know I can face them and overcome them like my friends are. I know my life would be vastly different if I had not friends who reached out to me and loved me. That is how it is supposed to work. The youth of our day; I wish they knew they power they had to save, to succor, to include, to love, to make miracles happen. How I love my friends. Thanks girls for loving for just exactly who I was.

(This post only covers 3 of my friends. There were others. Seminary teachers. Other friends and family. College friends and roommates. I am so grateful the Lord provided me with so many good people to lead me along. I hope I will always be that kind of friend.)

If you like this post, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment