Friday, August 6, 2010

My testimony


Olivia Norton, age 6 (At the time)

I have challenges to my faith on a regular basis that I will not share the details. But, as I have prayerfully pondered the proper way to face each challenge and whether words or action should be taken, some things came to me. I have two boys that I like to call sons of thunder. They are serving missions for our church. We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They teach principles. And then they ask each person they are teaching, to find out for themselves whether those principles are true. They invite them to ask God who gives wisdom to the earnest seeker of truth. No strong arming, brain washing, or tying people up under a light bulb. They just teach them to pray. Teach them our basic story. Give them a Book of Mormon. Ask them to read. Pray for themselves. Invite them to be baptized. Some say yes. Some say no.

On a regular basis, they testify to us of the truths that they teach. And they have realized as I have, that no amount of arguing, proving, wresting the scriptures will convert anyone. The fact of the matter is, a boy named Joseph Smith made a pretty big claim. He wanted to know what church to join. He went into the woods to pray. He saw things he never expected to, but his prayer was answered. Either it happened as he said. Or it didn't, and he is a liar or deluded. There is only one way to know for sure. Read his testimony and put it to the test. If it's true, then God asked him to set this church up based on principles that HE taught him.

There was a little girl, who was very sad, because her parents divorced and she couldn't have her family any more. She moved very far away and never saw her mother anymore. Her parents fought before, and that was not happy, but it made her very sad to never see her mother anymore. But, she still had other loving family members, and for the most part she was happy. She remembered when she was almost four years old, attending the baptisms of her mother and father and older brother. It didn't really mean much. And not long after, there was the horrible fighting and divorce.

When the girl was 6, she moved with her dad and brother to Georgia. And sometimes they went to church. Lots of times, they didn't. But one particular day, when they went to church, the people were having a "fast and testimony" meeting. On those days, members of the LDS church go without two meals and give the equivalent of those meals to the poor. And on those days (the first Sunday of each month), the members get up in the sacrament meeting as moved upon by the spirit to testify of things that they know are true.

As the little girl sat and listened, yes she listened, she had the funniest feeling. She knew. And she wanted to tell that she knew too. It was the first time that she had ever felt such an overabundance of joy and happiness and tears, and she stood and bore her testimony that she knew it was true. She didn't really know what, she just knew that it was.

That little girl was me of course. And I can't say that I've always known it was true, because a testimony is like a garden. If it is not nourished, it will eventually wither and die. The next time I remember knowing, was when I was 12 and somehow I got sent to girl's camp. At girl's camp, there was a testimony meeting around the fire. We still went to church sometimes and not others. Sitting around that fire, listening to the girls bear testimony, the fire lit within me again and I knew it was true and I stood and testified. How can you know something is true before you even know what it is that is true? I cannot explain it. I only know that hundreds and hundreds of times since them, I have felt it. Over and over.

Every time I attended girl's camp. Every youth conference I attended. Almost every testimony meeting I've ever sat through. Multiple times reading the scriptures including the Bible and the Book of Mormon. When I became a teen, I began being challenged. By Christian friends who told me I was going to hell. By family members. But, when I was awake enough at seminary, there was that sweet witness of the spirit. In countless Sunday School and Young Women classes, and I could go on and on.

My first really big challenge came when I was in college and I won't go into details, but it inspired me to read the Book of Mormon as quickly as I could. I finished in under a month and then I took the challenge.

Moroni 10:4, "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."

I can't say I really heard a giggle, but as it has filtered through the years, the impression was something of a laugh and a question. Something like, "you're kidding right? You *KNOW.*" And I did know. I know the Book of Mormon is also God's word.

The next and hopefully final challenge almost threw me completely off course. I kept it all to myself and again I won't share the details, but there was great wrestling within me and a point of being brought desperately to my knees. It involved anti-Mormon literature. Begging and pleading. "Please. I really must know. It's more important than it has ever been. And I will do anything, leave it all behind, take whatever course I am directed. Even leave my family if that is what it takes." Yep, I was desperately lost.

I went to the woods. I did not receive an immediate answer. I was on a camping trip. I went back to camp and ate dinner. I went to the campfire and opened my scriptures. But, I paused before I opened them. A little prayer went up. "Show me." I still marvel. I still don't quite believe that the only words that could have helped me, were the exact words that I opened to.

Romans 16:
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Do ya hear that anti's? No, of course not. Well, if you do, you are not serving our Lord Jesus Christ. The only way to reach out to someone who is lost (in your opinion) is to lovingly friendship and teach. Not scream and yell into a loudspeaker and intimidate people at places that are special to them. But, I digress.

I wanted to weep tears of gratitude. There were a few other verses that also really amazed me that I won't list here. The verses in Romans were the heart stoppers. I was letting deceit and words of division nearly alter the course of my future. From that day on, I was resolved. Nothing would ever influence me like that again. I will be honest that I was weakened. It took several years to re-nourish and grow what I had nearly lost. You must nourish a testimony. Since that time, I have spent many hours studying. Confirming again and again the testimony which is in me.

I have favorite websites that I go to when a question comes to me that I want to be more sure about doctrinally. But, for the most part, I go back to the witness that I was given as a little girl; I believe by the Holy Spirit.

I know God lives. I know He sent His only Son, to atone for my sins. I know that Jesus Christ is the only way back to the Father. I know He suffered in the garden and on the cross for me and for you. I know there is a Father, His Son, and the Holy Ghost. I do not believe they are one in person, as the Bible does not teach that. That "teaching" came in the 4th century after a bunch of philosophers decided to come up with a "proper" definition to appease those who did not like what the early Christian church believed about His nature. For more of LDS doctrine on the Godhead, you can read this excellent witness by an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. Am I really a Christian? I know I get accused of not being one, sometimes directly, sometimes by default. This talk answers that to my satisfaction.

I know it is only through the mercy and merits, goodness and grace of Christ that I am "saved." What I mean by that is saved from death and hell and able to return to my heavenly home where I will enjoy the blessings of eternity with my family. I know I must be baptized to receive a remission of sins by one in authority to do so. Christ established his church with apostles, prophets, evangelists, teachers, and so on. Where are His apostles today? Where are His prophets? In only one place I know of.

I know there was a falling away as prophesied in the Bible in Thessalonians 2:3 and Isaiah 60:2, and other scriptures. I know that God has restored his precious gospel, the good news of Christ and the plan of salvation and other lost truths, through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know there is another testament that testifies of Christ's divinity called the Book of Mormon. I've read it over a dozen times, and the simple truths are beautiful and delicious to the soul. I love the Bible and it's teachings and read it regularly and am so grateful for it's light. It is the Word of God.

I know God hears and answers prayers. He is personal in our lives. He loves each of us, His children. He wants us to call out to Him, rely on Him, make Him a part of our lives. He stands ever ready to bless us and He delights to do so. He has given us the power to choose and create. Not just procreate, but create lives of purpose and meaning with our talents and strengths. When we fall, He loves us anyway. And He is ready to help us up and be there every step of the way. He allows us to fall and He allows evil in the world, so that we might be accountable for our choices and He can judge perfectly.

I am so grateful for His goodness, His mercy, His love (how does God love if he is a God with no body, parts, or passions anyway?). I am grateful for my wonderful Christian friends who do sincerely want to have discussions and dialogue and do it in a loving way. We all benefit from that. And I believe our Savior is happy when it is done that way.

It amazes me that otherwise intelligent people that I love, will hear things from people they undoubtedly trust, and believe it completely. One side of the story. And then not ask, but tell me what I believe. People who would normally look at both sides of most issues, just accept as fact anything someone else says about my faith. It boils down to this. Jesus said, "by their fruits, ye shall know them." The fruits of Joseph Smith's efforts is the Book of Mormon. Most people will not read it. They've been warned there's a different Jesus in there. Maybe some are afraid that if they read it, they'll never be able to go back to their life before. It changes lives, just like the Bible does when people read it. One of the American prophets in the book said this,

“And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, ... and they teach all men that they should do good.” 2 Nephi 33:10

I invite you to sincerely read it and ponder whether it is good fruit. Consider whether it lifts and edifies and teaches. Recognize whether the book testifies of Christ as it's subtitle claims. And then ask God. Just ask. He says when we ask, He will answer. And the sincere prayer is always answered.

A testimony of the Book of Mormon only confirms whether Joseph was a prophet, whether there continues to be prophets on the earth, and whether he really did see what he claimed he did. From a six year old girl to today, I've received a witness that it is true, and so can you. And I witness it in His holy name, even Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment: