Sunday, August 15, 2010

Divine Math




For most of our married life, we knew we would have missionaries going somewhere to teach the good news of Jesus Christ. Before we even had our first child, we were advised that we should save $50 a month for that child to go into the mission field. At the time, we were making $1400 a month. $50 was a lot! If I knew now what I know then, instead of doubting that we could, I'd look for ways that we could. But, when you multiply by 5 boys and add 2 more for the possibility of girls going, $250-$350 a month seemed pretty impossible most of our financial life.

On occasion my dad would ring in and remind me, how are you going to pay for those missions Dawnie? Blind faith Dad. I'm going on faith. 5 years ago, it was really beginning to become a reality. Church missions currently cost $400 a month. EACH! I felt that to ask for help, I needed to do all that I could do and so I began pondering what to do to contribute. It finally came as an answer quite strongly one day, one that still makes me wonder. I became a realtor. I enjoyed a year of learning before we had the whole "market crash." I can say it hasn't been as lucrative as I dreamed it would be and there's certainly way more work than one EVER gets paid for. But, back to the equation.

The reality is, looking at our budget, that 1+1=2. One budget, plus one family =2. Hmmmm. What happens when a new obligation is thrown in, like a missionary? Suddenly 1+1 really needs to equal 3. And when you throw in Mish2, 1+1 needs to be >3. Nope, no matter how we added, it did not equal. But fortunately, my boys worked as much as they could and saved for a portion. Fortunately, for one whole year, they had enough to cover. Unfortunately, they both ran out at the same time.

I made a conscious decision. Blind faith. OK, it's not really blind. I have plenty of evidence to have faith. But, I told Heavenly Father, that I was not going to worry. These boys as much as I like to claim them, are really His, and so I knew He would be watching out for them and would provide the way. We'd try to do our part and then try to let the Lord work his miracles.

In spite of this horrible real estate night mare last year, I doubled my business. (Wish that were the case this year). So, at particularly needful times, a house would close, and we would pay several months in advance for one or both. We've had grandparents, an occasional friend, and generous other circumstances come through to help us to where we are. Our gratitude has been to overflowing. Only one time in 21 months, have I held my breath and paid out of our normal budget that only equals 1+1=2.

I've become less aware of our finances than ever before. What I mean is, I don't add up what's coming in and I don't add up what's going out. It's probably foolish of me, but maybe it's a survival technique. I've stressed over our finances our whole married life, and it didn't change anything. I did not want to worry. So, hands over eyes has kept the worry away. Haha. That, and knowing the Lord is aware of our every need.

Fast forward to August. Missionary payments x 2 due. The last few months I have particularly desired that we would be able to pay the remaining payments for Andrew and then we could breathe a little easier. No worry. Just desire. Lots of prayer. August 1 came due. 1+1=2. Hmmm. Well, I don't know what we are going to do. There was no way for it to =3 or more. No worry. Just desire. Lots of prayer. On the first Tuesday of the month after the payment was due, I checked the mail.

What do you think was there? An unexpected check. One I forgot about. An old investment being returned. At the very hour it was absolutely needed. It was enough to finish off The Mish payments, pay Mish2 through the end of the year, and provide for some other needs we have. Did I say our gratitude was overflowing? Let me say it again. Our gratitude is overflowing.

We have a loving Heavenly Father who probably knew when I made that investment, that it was for our missionaries. I didn't. I love learning how He delights to bless us. And I love learning that 1 (one family) + 1(omnipotent God) = (infinity). I've always loved Math! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment