Thursday, October 8, 2009

In the THICK of THIN things

I have a motto. "Life gets in the way of living." We walk down our path with a plan and then something unexpected throws us off course. The question is, how do we handle it? Do we learn from it? Or do we just throw a big fat tantrum? I have been blessed to learn many things to help me deal with life's interruptions of living. But recently I realized something was very wrong. I had a week that sidelined me. And normally when these kinds of things happen, I find a way to be grateful and I plow forward.

But this week, a whole bunch of things got together and collaborated against me. Professional, personal, and family challenges all mounted and I responded unhappily. Still clinging desperately to gratitude, I began asking myself some questions. Some of the experiences were in truth of my own making. Others just completely sidelined me. But if I truly believe in you reap what you sow, and I do, then I guess they were all of my own making, in the thought seeds that I had previously planted.

Time to start weeding the weed patch, because I either planted them, or they drifted in when I wasn't paying attention or delibearately planting flower and vegetable seeds. Ouch! It's hard to take responsibility for that. But I realized some things this week. For one thing, I have been attempting to run faster than I have strength. I can either embrace it and plant seeds to help me handle it happily or make a change, which seems so much easier.

So, I have been pondering how best to do that and I am excited about the possibilites. Because, in the end, I will begin to pursue the things that make me happy, not just the things I think I have to do. And I have realized I am not having any fun anymore. Oh sure, there are rare moments. But I am not living my life intentionally. I am letting the millions of little details get in the way of true joy with those I love. And it's all about relationships in my book. Because I truly believe that, I had to humble myself and apologize to someone who really wronged me. Why would I apologize? Because the relationship, no matter how small, is more imporant than the shared experience and I had a part in it.

So, I am planning to have some planning time and find ways to sieze the day, live in the moment, laugh and enjoy the precious gifts in my life. And to heal the wounds of the week and move on with happiness. Life is so short. "Note to self" Live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment