Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tragedy averted--prayer of thanks




I take it for granted. Every day we pray that we will be protected from harm and I suppose if we knew every day how often that prayer was answered, we might walk around a little bit nervous. My two oldest boys who are still within reach, one at college nearby, and one at home, took a friend to the airport today. We live 3 1/2 hrs from the airport, so it is quite the trip. They left at 7am and had been up late last night.

On the way home, the younger brother slept, and the older brother driving, joined him. When he awoke, he was in the wrong lane and the other vehicle way laying on the horn. As a mother, you don't even want to allow the what if thought in. But I could surely imagine a phone call informing us of an accident. Well instead, I am so grateful that they came home safe and sound and that the older brother warmed up for a basketball game tonight, instead of being visited in a hospital or worse. The younger brother sat with us and watched.

I believe in angels. I don't know that we have assigned angels to watch out for us or help us, but I believe they are often near and we rarely get to know it. Today I am thankful for whatever "guardian angels" had a hand in my sons' protection. How do you return that kind of favor?

2 comments:

  1. That was interesting to read while I'm in the midst of the book "90 Minutes in Heaven" where the guy gets hit head on by a semi and is dead for 90 minutes. AMAZING story, Baptist preacher. But I'm grateful your boys didn't spend any minutes, either temporary or permanent, in heaven. That's a little more than scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book. It was very good and I am completely intrigues by NDE stories, but the best I ever read was the first one, Return From Tomorrow. I agree with your sentiment.

    ReplyDelete