Thursday, November 20, 2008
Joseph Coveney--infidel
Over the years I have been fascinated with my 4th/5th? great grandfather who came to America from Ireland. I found this today. I used to think he was just a strong minded individual. After all he is referred to in many places as a Free Thinker. Well, I like the message of the youtube video. I hope old Joseph is not extinct. :-)
Here are some of the words on the monument.
THE MORE PRIESTS
THE MORE POVERTY
THE MORE SAINTS
THE MORE HYPOCRITES
THE MORE RELIGION
THE MORE LYING
"He died as he had lived a disbeliever in the Bible God and the Christian religion."
FREE THOUGHT, FREE RELIGION, FREE SPEECH and FREE PRESS
"The world is my country. To do good my religion. "
"A word to the wise. God in the constitution is the end of liberty. Beware how you unite Church and State." (I strongly disagree with great grandpa here.)
"The Christian religion begins with a dream and ends with a murder." "All Christian denominations preach damnation to the others." "Remember Mary Dyer hanging on the big elm on the Boston Commons a victim to Christian superstition."
"Nature is the true god, Science the true religion."
In spite of all of that, he was well respected, generous, and a citizen of high regard in the community. He lived to be 92. Too bad he didn't change his mind as his children implored him on his death bed. And obviously it would have been better had he had a higher regard from his Creator.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment