Monday, September 29, 2008

Parent's Pay Day



I remember the day this boy changed our lives forever. He came unexpectedly two weeks early and was born with a doctor and in a town and hospital he was not supposed to be. I remember thinking over and over, "I'm a mom." I did not feel that differently and 18-20 years seemed like a whole long time in the future to be responsible for this little person. Fast forward 19 1/2 years. Who stole the time? I remember when he was 9 1/2 and I thought wow, we are half way there. From the time he hit high school, it all became a blur, mostly because he was joined by six siblings and they all require time too. When he started driving it really started flying. Hey, he's had more than one speeding ticket. He is going somewhere fast.

Then he graduated and started college and began mission preparations. Now in only six short weeks he will really be gone for two years. I cant just see him now and then or go to lunch on a whim. He'll really be gone. Well, I can bemoan that fact later. (Scarlett: "after all, tomorrow is another day.")

Saturday we took our boy to the temple. We were joined by friends and family and it is the kind of day that you dream about and humbly welcome when it finally comes. It was a picture perfect day and I felt perhaps I had a family member from beyond the veil in attendance. That was comforting, as in my LDS walk, that has been a rare thing, to have any of my family present or supportive.

As we went to bed that night, we were both grateful. We have a ward member and friend, who buried their adult son that day. And we have friends whose children are wayward who would love to have a similar experience with their children. We know we are blessed, probably beyond what we deserve and all we can do is be grateful for it. We hope to have many more days like this one. God is good and so is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment