Wednesday, August 7, 2019

The Gift My Friend Gave Me that Taught Me More About Jesus Than Anything Else

IAT = I am thankful

I've been wanting to write this post for a couple of months. Life is SO BUSY. I thought Summer was supposed to be a break! Really self-imposed because I've been traveling nearly every weekend. Most of it has been in the state of Az, but I'm having fun packing bags while I put my make up on and then a few days later, unpacking bags while getting ready for the day. I am not unpacked completely from the last trip and SURPRISE, I'm heading off again. I wish all my trips were this, but none of them have been. I love my adventures anyway.





As I sat in sacrament meeting this particular Sunday,I was seeing the Memorial Service of the sacrament. I began praying about my gratitude for all of it. As I prayed the words, "descended below all things" I immediately had a memory come to mind in living color. 

It was October, 1986. I had just received the news of my mother's death. I dropped the phone and was in a heap on the floor, wailing my eyes out. It was the lowest point of my life, and continues to be. My best friend had gone across the street to get my best guy friend. I don't think they were my home teachers. But he brought one of his roommates. 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Terrell or T as we all called him, ran toward our house. Or at least my mind had him running, and when he came through the door, and saw me in a heap of horror and sorrow, he slid himself under me, and lifted me into a sitting position (still on the floor), and began rocking me. He held me and rocked me until my wails became sobs, and I was a little more composed.  When I was finally quiet, Terrell and Jeff, gave me a blessing of comfort. I don't remember anything they said. 

I was surprised at this rerun of events and of course it nearly caused me to weep. Throughout the meeting (topic Last Supper) I kept seeing that scene, and having to make an effort to hold myself together. Tears every time I think of it. I wonder at how my friend T knew exactly what to do. He was an extraordinary person and there was no pause for what might be considered awkward. He acted how his heart led him to, and I was the grateful recipient. 

The scriptures and thoughts that have come to mind following that experience have been a blessing to me. How the Savior succors us, running to us in time of need. How our desperation invites a space for Him in our lives for comfort and healing. How he is a friend to us. How he figuratively and literally, slips below our sorrow, takes us in His arms and tenderly holds us and gives us what we need, blesses us. Takes our griefs and internalizes it and replaces it with peace if we let Him. It never occurred to me before, but I wonder if in those heart wrenching moments, He really does place His hands on our heads and extends a blessing. Or maybe He's wrapped us in His arms like my dear friend did.

Two of the kindest acts in my life happened around this experience. Both of them involved my best friend. One of them, she brought others. 

As sweet as those acts of kindness are, the greatest kindness of all is the Savior descending below ALL. 

Mine, yours, every living person, ALL of it at the same time! The sadness of victims and the depravity of those who victimize. We KNOW this. But, it's a beautiful reminder when the personal is applied. It's always been a very tender memory, but I'll never look at it the same way again. I KNOW that in that moment, GOD knew exactly who I was and what I needed, and He sent others to provide the need. He always does, and when we can open our limited understanding of these kinds of tragic experiences, we can truly see it.

My friend Terrell was diagnosed with Huntington's disease a year later. He struggled with the loss of his physical self until his passing maybe 16 years later. 

It was a joy and blessing to eat lunch with his dear wife on one of my most recent trips and a couple of our other friends from that time period. I shared this story with her and how deeply it touched me.

Image may contain: 4 people, including Dawn Norton, Liz Bassett Applegate and Shauna Ewing-Stimson, people smiling, people standing and indoor

Some day, I'll get to embrace my Savior and thank Him for the awful price He paid and the help He gave me all my life. There are other special people I look forward to embracing as well. My friend T is one of them. He showed me what a true friend is, and he's still teaching me how to be more like Jesus.
If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment