Sunday, March 11, 2018

When We Ask Why

IAT = I am thankful

Several of my random thoughts have come together in the last few days giving me much to think about. 


I had heard some good things about this dramatization. This week was so busy I did not know how I'd fit in any scriptures, so I was wondering what I could do about it and decided it was time to listen to this. While I drove in and out of town, back and forth, and running errands, I listened. It was SO GOOD! Bruce Newbold's selections and portrayals from the words on the New Testament, brought the whole thing to life. It took me 2 days of running around to get to the end, and in the sixth track on day 2, (CD 2), I heard something that really stood out. Many of you will recognize his voice from other movies and productions.

Peter has drawn his sword in the garden to defend Jesus and cut off Malchus' ear. Bruce takes 2 different accounts and weaves them together.

Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be?


When just a few hours earlier Jesus had prayed, 

O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

"The cup which my Father hath given me" stood out. It just made me wonder about the much less bitter cups I've had to drink. And the cups others have had to drink. How many times have I prayed for a cup to pass from me, hoping I would not have to drink? My Father COULD take the cup from me, but what will not be fulfilled in my life that "must be" if my prayer is answered? Maybe that's the reason some of our answers to prayer are simply "no". There is a greater purpose in drinking the cup. For us or others.

I was still thinking about it this morning, 2 days later while I was getting ready for church, when another scripture came to mind from D and C.

Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit— and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink. Nevertheless, 
glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my reparations unto the children of men. 

Two more things occurred to me. First, the glory. Even though He knew to a degree what was coming, He did it for the glory of the Father and His preparations UNTO the children of men. Second, FEAR. I guess it never occurred to me that Jesus faced fear.  After all, He repeatedly and often encouraged to fear not, and questioned those who feared and had little faith. But there are a few examples that He may have known fear and doubt just as we all do. 

and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy; And saith unto them,  My soul is exceeding sorrowful 
Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me:
Nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Going back to the verses from the D and C, "would that I might not" DRINK and SHRINK. It sounds like there was hesitation. He wants to do what is right, but what if He shrinks? He clearly felt the gamut of human emotion during Gethsemane and the cross, including being completely alone as God withdrew, so He could carry it all, ultimately alone. Another light bulb today while listening to a lesson on the atonement with my Young Women.

Why? We so often ask the question why, when we must sip from a particularly bitter cup. Why is this happening? Why did....? Why? In this again, WE are not alone, but He was! He asked the same question.

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, WHY hast thou forsaken me?

For Him, there were only a few moments mercifully, that the question hung in the air unanswered. In those few moments and the hours preceding, He had every pain, sorrow, grief, stress and burden of all mankind one by one, on His shoulders. So, it was with mercy till that end, that He felt this way and asked the universal question. We also, may never know the answers to our questions why. HIS answer was for the GLORY OF GOD and FOR US. Our Father put every ounce of His trust into His Son who was willing to carry out the plan. If He failed, which I believe He could not do, then we all would have had to suffer eternally with no relief. But, He did not fail. He descended below all things because of love.


I've wondered why some may only have to sip from bitter cups here and there on occasion, and others seem to be carrying the topped off cup continuously, gulping and hanging on for dear life.  It is not for me to ask that question. I do know, that unlike the Savior who really did have to accomplish His task completely alone, we have help. He and the Father are there, watching over us, either offering relief through answered prayers, or holding us, comforting us, sending angels, and making it all right ultimately to our gain and Their glory. I'm so grateful, He walked alone that we might never have to.



If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment