Sunday, May 28, 2017

Love. Love. LOVE.

IAT = I am thankful

for wisdom.


About three months ago, I was given the opportunity to speak at our Stake Women's Conference. It was a lovely evening with speakers far more talented and entertaining than I. I had over a month to prepare and I am not sure that helped. It just made me so nervous because my topic was the atonement (The Refiner's Fire) and that's not something you can really joke your way through. On top of that, I felt very strongly that I was to tell my story. Again. Something I don't really enjoy telling. But, I did, and in the telling were these words.

What is the first great commandment? Anyone?

Love God with ALL, heart, soul, strength, mind. The scriptures tell us NOTHING can separate us from the love of God, and He wants us to return that love back to Him. That may be half the problem right there. Do we really love Him so much with ALL that we have and are that we trust Him rather than doubt Him? Do we accept the things we cannot change rather than worry, wring our hands, and whine about our lot to anyone who will listen?

What’s the second?
Love thy neighbor as THYSELF. What do we know about these 2 commandments and the rest of the law and prophets?

It all hangs on these two. L-O-V-E. Every single commandment is about love.
So after I gave my talk, these thoughts kept coming back to me again and again. I pondered these 2 great commandments. What came to me was to strip them down to the very bare bones. So, I came up with Love God. Love self. Love others. But I felt like they should be stripped down ever farther. It's obvious when you see them like that. Love. Love. Love.

"So that's it." I thought. All the other commandments hang on love. Wait. The 2 great COMMANDMENTS are simply L-O-V-E? LOVE.


When your heart is broken---LOVE.
When God doesn't seem to hear you---LOVE
When someone mistreats you---LOVE
When your toddler throws a tantrum---LOVE
When your teen is pregnant---LOVE
When your children forget you---LOVE
When someone hurts your children---yes---LOVE
When you are criticized---LOVE
When your parents aren't who you thought they were---LOVE
When you aren't recognized---LOVE
When you want to lash out---LOVE
When you want to cry---LOVE
When you want to die---LOVE

I realize it's easier said than done. However, we get plenty of opportunities to do it every day. We're not to preach or teach or judge or turn our backs. We are to follow the Master in His example of love.

Image result for John 15 12

There is it again. A commandment. Look around you. Find someone loving, and follow their lead. What do they do? Study the life of the Savior, the greatest example of love there ever is or was. Look around you. See anyone suffering? Pull up a chair, or a blanket, or a shovel, and just love them. Don't forget to be kind and loving to yourself.

Image result for love quotes lds


If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment