Thursday, October 20, 2016

Soothing the Soul

IAT = I am thankful

Since today is all about gratitude, the IAT will be the entire post. :-)

Thirty years ago today, a terrible tragedy happened. Like it does in many lives somewhere on the planet every day. But it happened, in my life that day. I received the news that my mother, after several heartbreaks in her life, a big health challenge, loss of a loving relationship, and a bout of depression, took her life. You can use the search box if you want to find the whole story. I don't even feel like linking today.

I believe that regrets must be what fans the flames of hell. Even for those who are evil and may find themselves suffering from those choices, even evil, is really bound up in regret. At least eventually. But gratitude, as I often write about, really is soothing to the soul. If you get lost in regrets, or sin, or dreams unfulfilled (still regret), you can be restored and hopeful through the blessing of gratitude.

So, since it's been 30 years and I refuse to stay in regret or the past, I choose to focus on 30 beautiful things to be grateful for.

1. Faith in Jesus Christ that saves me over and over and over.
2. That I had a beautiful mother briefly who thought my life was worth bringing forward.

Displaying IMG_20161019_234444.jpg
3. That I had a dad who did the best he could all things considered.
4. That I had other family members who loved me as a child.
5. Brothers.
6. Friends, who taught me and led me and still do.
7. A church that has helped to make me what I am.
8. My friend's families who took me in often and showed me the hope of what a family could be.
9. Young Women leaders who really cared. I would not be where I am today without Young Women's, Youth Conferences, and Girl's Camp.
10. TREMENDOUS college friends who influenced me for good and helped me step up.
11. A BFF who still is today, who I can still count on. Sometimes we don't talk for long periods, but I know I can call her and we can talk about ANYTHING. OKYAY??? (Only she will get that, haha).
12. This is really number 2. That husband. Not enough could be said about his amazingness. Today, even though he got up and left the house long before I did, he arranged this for me.

Displaying IMG_20161020_081833.jpg 
 13-20. The wonderful people who allowed me to experience motherhood. Can't say enough about them either. 
 
14-16. The current girls who have come into our family. Beautiful, wonderful wives and mothers.




15-17. This should really be in the top 5. GRANDBABIES! Full of energy, hilariousness, and love.


18. A wonderful family that I married into. Including Father and mother-in-law. Bret's siblings and their wives. Lots of nieces and nephews. Yes. LIFE IS ABOUT FAMILY. This is ours.



19. Health. It can't be replaced. 
20. My personal gifts and talents that I am still discovering and the trust given to me that I will use them to bless others. 
21. The beauty of the earth. From sunsets to fireflies and hummingbirds and fields of cotton, and...


22. This is the appropriate spot for music because it combines the previous one with one of my favorite songs. (Since I sang it in high school). (Combines my gratitude with all of it, :-)
23. FOOD of all kinds, but I really get jazzed by healthy food that keeps me healthy. Especially the dessert kind! 
 
24. Oxygen. Um hello!
25. 8 acres all to ourselves. I may not love my house, but I love this spot. 
26. My faith in Jesus Christ kind of includes all things churchy, but how I love the scriptures, and resources, and information at my fingertips, to learn more, grow more, and love more.
27. Forgiveness. Giving it and receiving it. So cleansing!
28. Travel! US, Mexico, Canada, Russia, Ukraine, Israel. And so many places I hope to go! But I'd go back to Galilee any day. 
 
29. I just have to mention sunsets, since they made it twice in the pictures. My daddy got me loving sunsets. Sitting on the porch and chatting. I think I really need to start doing that with the few I have left. How could I have left that out??? See? Regret. Right there.
30. That I still have life and breath in me. That I can learn and love and create any future I want to. What a blessing it is. And I KNOW some day, my mother and I will embrace again. And all tears will be washed away. I have a LOT of favorite verses, but this has to be #1.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
The latest talk I am studying about gratitude:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/grateful-in-any-circumstances?lang=eng
If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment