Saturday, June 20, 2015

Close Calls, Avoided Tears

IAT = I am thankful

For that prayer we pray every day for safety
For guardian angels
For loving older brothers
For kind strangers
For celebrating life

We've had a few times in our family where we had a close call. I've actually had many of my own  until recently, falling asleep at the wheel was a habit for me. I've woken up many times in the other lane, sometimes with a vehicle coming toward me. There was the time we lost Emily and enough time went by that we thought perhaps she was kidnapped. Another time we nearly lost control of a vehicle with a trailer and a tractor on the back. I was expecting our 6th, and we had our toddler with us. Absolutely frightening.  I can't even name my biggest fear.

There have probably been others. Yes. Today, but a few degrees in one direction or another, I would not have enjoyed the sunset.


Instead, I might have been sitting in a hospital watching over a boy with broken ribs, a punctured lung, or worse. I could have been making phone calls and planning things mothers don't want to plan.


Some of my boys went out for fun today. Riding 4 wheelers. Noah came back having tumbled off and flipped the vehicle. He was covered head to toe in dirt and almost as much so in abrasions and contusions. He had a headache and a little difficulty breathing. I was glad our doctor's office was open and we got him right in. No broken bones. No concussions. Just some bad cuts and bruises and a large 2nd degree burn. I'm so very grateful for the kind family who stopped to see if the boy laying in the dirt was all right. And that they took the time to help him get the 4 wheeler upright. It's not drivable and that was the least of our worries. I am glad he was out with his older brother and that he arrived on the scene quickly. He landed amongst rocks and glass. Could have been so much worse.

When these things happen, I often wonder why. Not why did it happen. But why WASN'T it worse? For every close call we've had, we have friends that have walked a lonely road of grief and sorrow and pain. I have cried many tears for friends on that path. I don't know the answer. But I am grateful I am going to bed without the worries that I could be. God is good either way. I praise Him either way.

And now we know the adjustments we need to make for future safety. He'll heal up in a few days with essential oils and silvadene cream. So relieved.

If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment