Monday, August 5, 2013

HItting Highlights--Days 5 and 6

IAT = I am thankful

to have access to peace any time.
for beauty in new things in old places.
for a way to leave the world behind.
for friendly faces in those places.
for early mornings. (did I really say that?)

So, here's the deal. We did SO MUCH in Israel, that it can't all be blogged about. So, I'll post our itinerary notes and if you really want a feel for the trip, you'll just have to google some of those things. Since being home, I have found Israel has been life changing. I cannot do ANYTHING that has the slightest reminder without picturing what I saw and felt. For example. I went visiting teaching the other day, and the message was about how the Savior taught women. It mentioned Mary and Martha, and all I could see in my mind was Lazarus tomb and the stories we shared there.

This evening, I went to a baptism, and I could see and feel the Jordan River around my legs. And a friend on the trip immersing himself multiple times. And knowing that immersion is the way it was done in that day, because of the Jordan River and all the mikvehs that were in many of the dwellings we saw from that time. 

We traipsed all over Bible lands, so many stories will now be vivid to me. So wonderful!



DAY 5/ Monday, July 1, 2013- Early start at 7AM for bus to Dung Gate to meet Western Wall Tunnel at 7:40 AM; View the Bar Mitzvah’s; Go to the Jewish Quarter for the Temple Institute; lunch on our own, Herodion House with the three 1st century Priest homes, Broad Wall, the Cardo, the Hurva Synagogue, etc.  Go to the Davidson Center and Ophel Gardens and the southern wall and steps; Warren Shaft, Hezekiah’s tunnel and pool of Siloam.  Dinner and stay at the Olive Tree Hotel.

DAY 6/ Tuesday, July 2, 2013-  Morning visit to Yad Vashem; Travel to the Elah valley for David and Goliath; Visit Tel Bet Shemesh for the Samson story; Lunch stop at park near Elah, where Basam arranged a picnic.  Traveled up the Beit Horon pass  to Nebi Samwil (the remembrance of Samuel, the prophet) on the way into Jerusalem.  Dinner and stay at the Olive Tree Hotel.

 Just a beautiful spot I loved.

 Western Wall under the city. People go down under to pray too.

 Street level

 Stones Jesus would have walked on.



 I think this is the coolest picture. Love the light and darkness.


 Walking through the old city.

  
Men's side Western Wall









 Women's side



Bar Mitzvahs end at the Western Wall



If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment