You know how you can read something a dozen times, and then for some reason, the 13th time, it has some kind of special meaning to you. Or you read something often and the meaning changes depending on your circumstance at the time. I've found that conference talks and scriptures are like that. Last week, I had that very experience. Because it was very personal, I'll leave some of the details out.
We read the following verses in Sunday School last week, from the Book of Mormon.
I've read those verses many times. And I always look at me as me, and the beggar as the beggar. And I have tried over the years to "administer of my substance" when I could. But, I have not always been free of the internal chatter over the reasons I am "having" to give. Sigh. I'm hoping my most recent insights will help me to stop the chatter and give from the desire in my heart to do so.16 And also, ye yourselves will asuccor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the bbeggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.17 Perhaps thou shalt asay: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.19 For behold, are we not all abeggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?20 And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a aremission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his bSpirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with cjoy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy.21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to aimpart of the substance that ye have one to another.22 And if ye ajudge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your bcondemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life cbelongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are arich as pertaining to the things of this world.
So, recent events had me contemplating, reviewing, praying, and other things. These other things, put me in a very humble mode. And I made a request of a few people I know. The request is private. But those individual people were the only ones who could help me with the request I made. And in all but one situation, each person responded lovingly to my request, and I was very thankful.
And then, we read the verses about beggars in Sunday School. And it hit me square between the eyes. I'm a beggar. Yes, I have even read those verses THINKING about my position to my Savior and how I am a beggar before Him. But I didn't really FEEL about it. Those recent circumstances and requests to others, came with full force to my mind, and I suddenly related very personally to the beggar. I was deeply moved that and grateful that my Heavenly Father has never treated me as I have sometimes treated the beggars that have come across my path. My Father has never been stingy with me. Has never pointed out to me, that He "told me so" or that I got myself into the mess I am in. He simply meets my need when I make a request or ask him to impart of His substance to me.
And then I realized of course that every person in my life is also a beggar. And they may not be dressed in rags, or holding a sign, or even directly requesting of my substance. But, if I know someone has a need, and I can fulfill that need, and I don't, isn't it the same as if I have denied the beggar? We each are beggars in some circumstance. Perhaps we need physical care, emotional support, a simple uplift, or merely mercy or forgiveness. How does it feel when that is withheld? It feels awful.
What if we looked at each other as beggars in need? And we gave a smile when needed? Offered a hand when needed? Gave a word of encouragement when needed? Wouldn't the world be a better place? I believe it would.
And as often happens, when I come to such a realization, an opportunity presents itself to see if I get the lesson. Suffice it to say, a beggar of sorts came into my path while I was in Canada. Someone in need that I could help. I specifically heard the word beggar, in my mind. And I am happy I was able to take action. I'll never see them again or know if it helped. But, I will be looking for those opportunities more often. And I hope that the one request of mine that remains, will be met some day. If not, I know that there is Someone Else who can meet all my beggarly needs and requests. And I hope that I can be as generous as He when opportunities come my way to offer of my substance.
If you like this post, please share or comment.

Beautiful thoughts that spoke deeply to me this morning. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYou're so welcome Sherri.
ReplyDeleteSince many months later, likely no one will read this, I am adding this as a reminder. The requests were for forgiveness, and I want to remember that any time anyone asks me for forgiveness, that I give it. Because it feels awful for it to be withheld. And when someone in need has no resources, to give whatever I have on me, because I have more coming, but they may not. ($20 for a cab is doable).
ReplyDelete