Friday, November 25, 2011

GRATEFUL and hopeful

IAT = I am thankful


Well, it is the day after Thanksgiving and it was truly a lovely day. Our last Thanksgiving with all of us together, was four long years ago. I was having a year long emotional countdown of last days together before our lives changed forever. The RM was leaving on a mission. He is now home and he brought a guest to dinner. :-) She's very special and may need a nickname for DLD. We'll see about that. Haha.


On the menu was turkey of course, ham, green bean casserole, mixed veggies, sweet potato casserole, cranberry jelly (I am the only one who eats it), cookie casserole thanks to Aunt Lanae, whipped mashed red potatoes, gravy, stuffing with cranberries, and rolls. Dessert was mixed berry pie, chocolate cream pie, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. (Thank you Francie for the pecan pie!) With only one plate of food, my eyes were rolling back in my head and I could take no more. :-)

The Mish2 who now should be renamed RM2 has also been gone and come home. There has been a lot of joy. And now we are preparing to send the Beast off and I suppose he will become the Mish3. But I digress.

I find the older I get that variety is the spice of life, but simple things are where real joy is found. Faith. Family. Freedom. Friends. All things that lift, support, and bring us the best that life has to offer. Those things are all worth fighting for. It was awesome to be in the kitchen cooking, having different family members come in and out to contribute, and hearing the raucous laughter of seven siblings in the other room as they played games together and watched movies. Laughter. Love it. My heart swelled with happiness.


I think of the scene from Sound of Music. Where Captain Von Trapp goes looking for Maria when he realizes he's in love with her. Out in the gazebo, she sings, "I must have done something good." I feel that way sometimes. But I don't know what I did in my youth or childhood that merited me the tender mercies I enjoy every day. My life is full to overflowing.

And the hope? I am not talking about the false hopey changey stuff that the government offers come every election. I am talking about real hope. You don't get details. Only I know what I am talking about and since I am not giving details, I'll even likely forget some time in the future. But....there has been a challenge in my life for quite some time. There has been no one I could talk to about it, but after a very long time, the conclusion I was coming to was simply that I had to love the situation and try to figure out what I could learn from it. All the while continuing to pray for answers and inspiration. One simple thing seems to have changed it for the good of those involved and I will continue to hope for full resolution and the blessings that come to those who wait on the Lord.

So grateful. So hopeful. So happy.

If you like this post, please share or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment