Tuesday, January 4, 2011

And then there were 4 gifts!


4 little boys.

And then there was Jefferson. It wasn't that simple. From boy #2 on, every passing day, my desire for a girl went up. And up, AND UP!!! I let that desire sideline me from what was really important--a happy, healthy baby joining our family. I had an ultrasound but it was early enough that they could not tell and would not predict. And then at 28 weeks, I went into labor. It wasn't the first time, but it was the earliest I had ever done it. I went in for a routine doctor visit 80 MILES AWAY! (So glad I'm not doing THAT anymore) Because I had a history, my nurse midwife decided to check me. Not a good result and she sent me across the street to the hospital to be monitored. I was having contractions 4 minutes apart and didn't even know it. I guess the NMW didn't think I was taking it seriously enough and let me know that my baby's little head was only about 4cm around. That got my attention!

At that point, they were calling for life flight to take me to Albuquerque and Bret would never make it to Silver or Albuquerque to be any help to me in time. So, he called on the local Stake President whom he knew (thank you Pres Anderson) and he brought some missionaries and they laid their hands on my head and gave me a blessing. He blessed me that angels would attend me and my baby and that's all I needed to remain calm.

As that little jet ascended the skies with only three passengers; me, the pilot, and a nurse, the sun was setting and it was a gorgeous sight that brought me great peace. I had read only a few weeks before a book by Sarah Hinze called, Coming From the Light about the experiences of parents with their PREBORN children. It was so intriguing to hear of families who had some kind of witness about their children before they joined their families.

When I got to Albuquerque, one of the first things they did was give me an ultrasound. And the Dr asked me if I wanted to know. Why yes, I've never been one for surprises and cannot stand suspense. So, he looked at the screen, and looked at me and announced, "it's a kumquat!" Haha. Just kidding. "It's a boy!" Surprisingly, rather than being upset as I would have predicted, I had a peace and knowing settle over me. This baby was meant for our family. God was sending us exactly who was supposed to be a part of our lives.

The crisis passed and six weeks later, the bouncing baby boy came along. He was the skinniest little baby I ever had. At just over six pounds, he looked like a little birdie with no feathers, but he was sure a cutie pie anyway. I knew his name would be Jefferson. It just fell on my head from heaven one day. His middle name, Daniel is a name I always loved, but reminded me of a dear friend I spent a lot of time with in college. (Not a boyfriend, just someone who really helped me see my worth). I swore he'd never be anything but Jefferson, but we've called him Jeffo and Jeffrey and lots of other things. His name is yelled from the rooftop in this house more than any other. And we all know what that means even if no one else does. Hahaha.




I've looked through all my files and can't find my absolute favorite picture of his face, so I'll post and repost it later. I've loved his dimples his whole life. He smiles readily and is a natural comic.


He can be a little on the weird side. I am sure that is a gene from his dad. :-)



As much as he and Emily clash, he loves her.


He is obedient. When he was 2 1/2 we moved him from his crib to a bed. As I tucked him in and looked at his little smiling dimples, I said, "Jefferson, don't get out of bed, ok?" He replied happily, "ok." And he NEVER did! EVER. It was amazing. (Quite refreshing compared to Chris who got out of bed DOZENS of times EACH AND EVERY stinkin' NIGHT!!! For like 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!)

He's reliable and I know if I want someone to say yes to a job, I call on him. He helps me in the kitchen on short notice. He makes great cookies. He sings, he plays the piano, and he's a good friend. He is following in the footsteps of his brothers but making his own way. He's very smart and always has been. He has a sharp wit. He's almost an Eagle Scout. And he's 16 years old. I can hardly believe it.


I know Jefferson will do great things. We are so grateful he came to our family!

2 comments: