
Christopher Lines Norton, about 3 years old
I don't have any baby pictures on my computer of Christopher. I really wanted to name him Christian, but his dad wouldn't let me, and he tells me now that he's glad I didn't. For whatever reason, I always wanted him to remember Christ and be a Christ bearer. I am glad that I can say right now, my beautiful #1 second son is bearing the name of Christ to the good people of Kentucky.
He came 10 days early too. And I knew the day he was born something was wrong. He thrashed around for awhile and then he quit moving. That worried me and took me to the hospital and they found I was basically in labor anyway and kept me. He had a slight complication that was quickly taken care of and we were on our way. Another beautiful bouncing baby boy.
The best picture I can give of Chris from the time he could crawl, is to think of a frisky little puppy. He was always raring and ready to go. Happy and excited and tearing things up. His energy was boundless and I can say I did not nearly appreciate it as I should. He wore me ragged and was a beloved little rascal. How could you not love this face?

Chris' beautiful 5 year old face
He was born on August 31. And the school deadline for kindergarten was September 1. If I'd had the wisdom of the years as I do now, I might not have enrolled him. He would have had an extra year to accomplish and become. He had great friends that year though that influenced his life for good. But, I did not have the wisdom of the years and I was exhausted with four little boys running me in circles. So, off he went to school.
Christopher was a completely different "beast" than Andrew. Where Andrew was happy to be in one place, Chris was only happy if he was everywhere, seemingly at once! He questioned things early on and wasn't afraid to share his sometimes unappreciated opinion. He pushed the envelope and made us wonder what we were in for? But, as I said, he was very happy and he was very loving and he was for the most part a pretty delightful little boy.
Chris showed athletic promise from a very early age. He moved with grace and was comfortable in his physical body. Unfortunately, he also somewhere along the line did not develop a lot of self confidence. In baseball he was afraid to swing. But he had good encouraging coaches. He played football for a few years, but he really loved basketball. I really did think early on, he'd be a GREAT basketball player, so it was rather disconcerting through the years to see coach after coach overlook him. I don't know how it all works in sports and with coaches, but most of it has never made any sense to me. And I never spoke up in his behalf.
Chris was a good solid student, he was liked by many, including his teachers, and one thing I love about Chris, is he has always had a tender heart for the underdog. He roots for those who get made fun of, and befriends them. He loves to laugh and he is my movie quoting pal, although it's rubbed off on everyone in our family.
Another thing I loved about my Christopher is that somewhere mid teens, he "figured it all out." He knew that if he could please mom, mom was more than happy to allow him to do things he wanted. Opposite of Andrew, Chris was not a messy. He complained for years when I came down on both of them as they shared a room about it being so messy. And then when we changed up the rooms, I found out it was true. He kept his room pretty clean. I would also come home from somewhere and find him cleaning everything in sight. Why? Well, he usually wanted something. And I usually let him. :-)
To our absolute joy, his senior year, he really had the chance to shine. I will forever be grateful to our principal and men's basketball coach, Mr. Hudson, for the confidence he had in Chris. And for the talent he saw and drew out of him. And for the confidence that it built in Chris. For the first time in his life, he started on a basketball team and played good portions of the game. His beautiful shot that he had worked on for years, became a strength to the team. I'll NEVER forget the game tying 3-pointer in the Ft Thomas game and his additional 8 points that won the game. It still brings tears to my eyes knowing that game gave him a boost of confidence he had previously unknown.


And all too soon, it was over. We wished like crazy that either Mr. Hudson had come a year earlier, or Chris had been a Junior and had another year with him, but life is that way sometimes. So, he went on to EAC like his older brother and enjoyed a few months of introductions with him, until he left on his mission. He joined an evening basketball class a few weeks after it started and within a month or so, the coaches who were assistants for EAC basketball asked him to try out. And to our amazement, asked him to be part of the team. We were all very excited for him as it had been something he had dreamed of and run through his mind many times. He only played here and there and for a few minutes, but as he prepared for his mission, they asked him to please come back after and see them. So, we will see what happens.
Then, off he went to work for the Summer, and off he went to be a missionary like his older brother. And it was wonderful that they got to spend two days before he went into the MTC being brothers and doing missionary work together.
We miss him greatly, but he is needed for a few more months where he is. We are so proud of the hard work he is doing, the strengths he is gaining, and the service to his family, his church, and the Lord and Savior who he testifies of. I am so grateful that Chris is one of the gifts in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment